Sunday, September 13, 2009

Granny's Slow Cooked Rice Pudding

I mentioned my sweet Mom-in-law that I lovingly refer to as Granny. She's feisty. I can say that because she knows it. I can also honestly say that I have never heard so much cussing from a little old gal until this week watching her go through the shingles. I didn't know she had it in her. Maybe I'm weird. Okay, let's be real...I'm weird. I have a whole new respect for the woman. Yes, I know, I should be appalled. I should be packing my bags because I'm going straight to...the hot place. You know I should be upset at hearing such cussing, but instead, I've been kind of giggling. Not laughing at her pain. I'm quite sympathetic. The cussing, it just doesn't fit her in any way so I've had the irony giggles. Yes. I know. It's totally lame. I realize I'm going straight to...the hot place. And if I do go there, I guess it will be good that I know how to make a slow cooked hot pudding. Since my cussing Granny will there with me and vastly in need of something comforting.

 This is a recipe we have used for a few years now. It's actually the recipe Thomas Jefferson's Granddaughter, Virginia Randolph Trist, used to make rice pudding. So, it's vintage. I found it in Jeff Smith's, "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American". It is sooo  creamy slow cooked. Like 3 hours. Granny's Granny used to cook it in the old farm stove while they where away to the church on Sunday in the small town in Southern Colorado. Go figure. For those who don't know...my church is still a 3 hour deal. So...we made pudding and went to church to repent for all the cussing. Ah...

You need:
1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed
6 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
dash of nutmeg
dash of cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Combine all ingredients in an uncovered casserole. Bake at 300 for 2 hours 45 minutes. You may stir half way through baking time if desired. Pudding is ready when there is a caramel colored crust on the top and the pudding is thickened and creamy. Serve hot or cold. Please put left overs in the fridge.

No cussing. It is really good.
There you go.

3 comments:

Goob said...

for Yum!

Jana said...

Hate to break it to you, you're already in the hot place, and I'm sure I would laugh too.

mlebagley said...

I thought this would be one of those miracle crock-pot recipes. 325 for 3 hours? Really? Wow! I'm going to make this next week for lunch after church!