Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Healthy and Shelf-stable Personal-Sized Instant Chicken Salad

90 Day Weight Loss Challenge continues! How is everyone doing with making good choices?  I've had some good moments and some drag-out-fights with the devil on temptations.  I'm pretty certain that this will be one of those challenges I will never fully overcome, but it will keep me humble and make me really rely on a Higher Power to pull me through.  Granted, I've been told that it does get easier over time...but I'm not there yet.  I'm in the GRRRRR stage. Ya know the one? I'v said it before and I'll say it again, some of the greatest battles in human history will never be seen by the roaring crowd in a Colosseum  but will rage silently...within the secret confines of the human heart.  Keep fighting the good fight darlings! GRRRR!

I've been finding some great motivation just by having really simple chicken salad on hand for when I'm hungry. I'll be sharing a guest post Thursday on the  Honeyville Blog for family-sized chicken salad with 2 variations, but today I wanted to share the personal sized ones.  If you've never read about making shelf-stable meals in a jar, you'll need to read the posts that go into the details of that:

For this recipe, I use pint jars. 

Chef Tess Instant Chicken Salad
pint jar ingredients:
1/2 cups freeze-dried white meat chicken
1 T  freeze dried onion
2T  freeze dried celery
1T  buttermilk powder  or Cream Cheese Powder
1/8  tsp Chef Tess All Purpose or Italian Seasoning
2tsp ultra gel (gluten-free)

Jar directions: Layer ingredients in a clean very dry mason jar. Top with a 100 cc oxygen absorber (this must be used with freeze-dried meat for it to be safe!) or  use the  Food Saver Vacuum Packing Meals in a Jar Tutorial. Label jars clearly with preparation instructions. 

To Prepare: Remove oxygen absorber and discard. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water into the jar with the chicken mixture. Cover and let sit to hydrate 10 minutes. Add more water if you want it thinner dressing.   Chill for cold salad or immediately serve over salad greens or in between two slices of whole grain bread, rolled in a whole grain tortilla or eat with crackers. Yield 1/2 cup chicken salad.

Nutritional information: 1/2 cup chicken salad 167 calories, 3 g fat, 2 carbs, 25 grams protein.

There you go my darlings! Onward and upward! Keep fighting the good fight!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

I am no longer the corporate chef for Honeyville but we still love them dearly. My family is greatly blessed and relies heavily on the extra money brought in by sales tracked back to this site. This is also the company that packages and sells my spice line as well as my food storage cookbooks. Thank you so very much for your support. Xoxo!

1 comment:

Me said...

Awesome! Loving that you are coming out with some lower-carb jars. Any chance we can get a printer-friendly version? I need to add this to my Chef Tess binder :-)

Thanks for all you do!