Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Friday's Freeze Frame...
























Every Friday it comes to this...


I make pizza. Pizza by the ton. I imagine that explains a lot. Especially if it causes brain damage. Or excitability in children. Or the complete inability to get me to stop talking about bread. Whatever it is about homemade pizza, we have it. Yes. All the symptoms that come with it as well. I can't explain what draws me or the majority of the country to the pizza parlor but I for one have pizza in my parlor. If I had a fancy parlor I would definitely make space for a pizza table. As it is, we have a tiny enough space for a 4 seat er table in my kitchen. Just right for my boys to go completely berserk at the thought of Friday night pizza. So I thought it only fair to post the recipe I use for homemade oven rise pizza dough. Apparently it has been quite a hit with all who have tried it. Cheaper than the frozen oven rise pizza by about 5$ a piece too. Not bad for the 10 minutes it takes to wind up the ol' Kitchen-aid and get it done!


Oven rise pizza dough (for your freezer)
6 cups bread flour
2 1/4 cups water
1T baking powder
1T yeast
1T salt
1/4 cup oil.
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a mixer and knead 5 minutes. Let dough rest 5 minutes. Form into 3 9 inch crusts placed on cardboard cake rounds or lined sheet pans. Top with cold sauce and toppings (be sure vegetables are blanched). Freeze then transfer to gallon size freezer bags that are labeled clearly. Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, preferably on a pizza stone. Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers immediately.
Note: pre-cook meat and veggies for best results. put cheese right on sauce, and then toppings, this will ensure cheese stays on pizza.


What will I do when my boys are teenagers? EEEk!

8 comments:

Amy said...

You will just have to teach them how to make the dough themselves.

That sounds so good right now. I'm a big pizza nut too. I could eat it everyday...never tire of it. I've become a real big fan of margherita pizza lately. Ahhhhh. I'm gonna start drooling at the thought...

Chef Tess said...

Just don't drool on your keyboard and short out your computer! Tell me about this margherita pizza... what does it have on it? I must have it...do you see my zombie arms coming at you? Do tell my dear!

Amy said...

You've never done margherita pizza?! Oh my. You are missing out. A basic one has pizza sauce, round mozzarella slices, basil, and olive oil. When I make it, I add sliced tomatoes and omit the olive oil. (I'm not a fan of olive oil and I really don't think it adds anything to the pizza...except fat.) It's really basic...but so stinkin' delicious. Of course, you can go crazy and add some oregano or garlic. That'd be good too. But even without any frills, it's good. Nice and fresh.

I should add...not everyone likes this kind. My hub won't even try it...and he loves pizza in general. I must have a more sophisticated palette than he :)

Chef Tess said...

That sounds simple and elegant! Yes. You probably are more sophisticated! My husband eats spaghettios out of a can...cold. I don't know how we can be married.

Salsa Mama said...

Hey Stephanie, what do you mean when you say "bread flour"?

Chef Tess said...

Bread flour is a higher protein flour found with other flours on the baking aisle. It is also called better for bread flour sometimes. If you make your own flour it is flour made from hard wheat.

Anonymous said...

When you make this "freezer pizza dough" do you have to freeze it first to come out, or can you freeze some, and use some of the dough fresh right away? Do you need to prebake the crust partially before adding topping?
Thanks, I just found your blog and I'm lovin it! Pls respond to
alisalarson@q.com

Chef Tess said...

You can use it right away as you would fresh pizza dough, or freeze it raw and it will bake/raise as if it was made fresh that same day, but frozen.