Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bread of Life Section--- Hunger

What a glorious new day! It's Sunday morning. I try to have a little more of the spiritual on Sunday. I think it helps ground me a little more and remind me where my inspiration originates. If you don't want to read it...there are plenty of wonderful food recipes and items on my blog. Don't be afraid to look around. I love having you here for a visit.

I wanted to go back to this picture Ace took in Germany of a bread store. I may be lame. I studied it very carefully and loved adored seeing what they where selling. Even here in Arizona, where I couldn't buy any of it. It brought a lot of feelings to my heart. Love and adoration to Ace for thinking to take a picture for his foodie wife. Thoughts of how universal bread is and how it reaches every society in one form or another. I thought of how universal hunger is. How so many need bread. Then I came to the most amazing thoughts of all. Thoughts of how I need to be better at feeding my soul and the soul of others. I was thinking of Mother Teresa when I saw this picture. Let me explain.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta was amazing. One correspondent recalled her saying that as severe and wrenching as physical hunger was in our day—something she spent virtually her entire life trying to alleviate—nevertheless, she believed that the absence of spiritual strength, the paucity of spiritual nutrition, was an even more terrible hunger in the modern world. Remember the prophecy from the prophet Amos, who said so long ago, “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord.”

With all we have in the way of modern food and nutrition, it is easy to focus on the physical body. Get it nourished. Get it strong. In the process of taking care of the body...don't miss taking care of the energy that flows in your soul. I believe that the body and the spirit together are what make up the "soul" and that only when both are strong can you really able to bare our trials. George Q. Cannon said, “No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, [God] will never desert us. He never has, and He never will. He cannot do it. It is [against] His character [to do so]. He is an unchangeable being. … He will stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties the better and the purer for them, if we only trust in our God and keep His commandments.”

I pray this morning that all who are hungering and thirsting, and sometimes wandering, will hear this invitation from Him who is the Bread of Life, the Fountain of Living Water, the Good Shepherd of us all, the Son of God: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, … and ye shall find rest unto your souls.” Matt. 11:28–29.

There you go. I love you all.

No comments: