Monday, May 11, 2009

Jalapeño Popper Dip


I'm not going to lie. I love spicy cheese filled jalapeno poppers. I love them. If they wouldn't cause serious gastric distress...I'd eat them every meal. The heat alone will kill you if you eat them to fast...but I love them. It's wrong. It's creeping over the edge of evil obsessive love affairs. Yes. I know. I will probably live to regret eating them, but my goodness, they are so hot.
Tara sent me an email with this recipe. She must know how weak I am. Weak and pathetic in ths sight of the popper. Yes, imagine my genuine level of utter adoration at the mention of a hot appetizer dip that mimics the flavor of those evil hot cheese fat bombs. I had to make it right away! So, as the Evil Think tank session arrived with Evil Tara, this dip was part of the culminating events. I must say...it was just as evil as the recipe made it out to be. Yes. I am hopelessly in love.



Jalapeño Popper Dip
2- 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temp
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1- 4 ounce can sliced jalapeños- double if you like heat


1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 stick butter, melted

In a food processor add the first 6 ingredients and process until smooth. You do not need to drain either can of peppers. Spread the dip into a greased 2 quart casserole. In a bowl mix bread crumbs and the other 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Pour melted butter over top crumb mixture and mix well. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the dip and bake in a 375° oven for about 20 minutes. You want the top to get browned and the dip to be heated through and bubble gently on the edges. Do not over heat this dish or the mayonnaise with separate and you will have a grease puddle in your dip. Serve with Buttery crackers or a sliced French baguette. Serves 8-10.

3 comments:

Goob said...

That makes me want to take the Lord's name in Vain. I think for me, this could potentially top the buffalo chicken dip. I LOVE Poppers! But they have to be cream cheese poppers, not cheddar, that's a stuffed jalapeno, not a popper. I have everything except the jalapenos in the house right now, and I was already headed to the store shortly anyways, so now, jalapenos are on the list!

Chef Tess said...

You feel my pain then don't you...oh please let me know how it goes!

J. P. said...

It took every ounce of not-wanting-to-be-fat-more-than-wanting-the-dip I had in me to not make this for lunch, home, alone, with the dip. Then I thought to make it with dinner, but I already had rib-eye ready to go, and that just seemed to rich and greasy to pair the two. So, Thursday night, after the kids go to bed, this is what JP and I will be enjoying while we watch the Office and 30Rock. can't WAIT--Lisa