Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chocolate Sourdough cherry rolls with rum glaze

Today is Doomsday. Little Man told me yesterday that today was the day. I think it had something to do with the fact that summer vacation ended today and he had to go back to school. Face has no idea what Doomsday is ( we call it the Second Coming). As a matter of fact, when Little man said "tomorrow is Doomsday", Face starting running around the house in a very gleeful way waving his arms around and squealing "Yipeee! Tomorrow is Doomsday! I love Doomsday!" Now, this could also be due to the fact that I tell my kids it will great when the Savior comes as long as they live good lives and follow God. However, this may not include eating evil food like these rolls. So plan on repenting really quick. In light of the recent comments about sourdough in general, I found it very fitting to fall on this day. Very fitting indeed...(evil grin).

You will need:
One recipe of the Chocolate Sourdough Bread mixed and raised overnight.

1/2 cup cherry jam
1T quality cinnamon
2T sugar

Rum glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1T hot water
1/4 tsp rum extract
Let the Doomsday festivities begin. Lets see. Sprinkle the counter top with flour, all over. Roll the dough out in a rectangle. This one is 24 inches by 16 inches (approx). About 1/2 inch thick.
Now lightly spread the jam onto the rectangle, leaving about 1 inch around the edges. That inch is important. It makes it possible to seal the rolls.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the jam. This is still much lower in calories than if you used butter. Just a thought, since there has to be something redeeming about these little devilish things.

Tightly roll into a long log. I couldn't fit the whole thing in a picture frame. Sorry.
One of the secrets of getting nice round rolls, is making sure that you make the roll very tight, and you pinch the heck out of that dough to seal the edges. Stink bug...I didn't get a picture of sealing the seam. Can you all just imagine in your wonderful minds how it would look if I took my strong baker's hands and pinched the dough together? I hope I have not failed you miserably.
Now get a really nice sharp knife. The ones you never let your kids play with unsupervised. I prefer the serrated one I use for slicing bread. It gets a nice clean cut. This next picture almost made me cry it was so pretty...
Choirs of angels singing yet? Oh please! Sing ladies and Gents. This makes a dozen rolls. Cut into 12 pieces. My mathematical genius self is really shining through here isn't it?

I once again must tout the benefits of baking on a stoneware pan. Mine is seasoned really well so it looks rustic and artsy. Love it. But if you don't have one, a regular sheet pan would work.

Place them about 2 inches apart. Don't worry, they will grow together in love and harmony.


See...Peace In The Valley.
This world peace took about 2 1/2 hours. But, my house was really warm. It's summer in Arizona. It's warm. Yours may take closer to 3 if your house is cool. This is why I do pictures, so everyone can see what they should look like.
Bake 350 degrees 25-30 minutes.

Unglazed they look like this. To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar, water and flavoring.

Drizzle on the love baby. Enjoy.

There you go. Make these on Doomsday or Tuesday...whichever comes first.

1 comment:

Jana said...

I looked at those pictures and my mouth watered like it was the second coming! Those look yummy. Tell Face and Little Man I said hi and I love them.