Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bread of Life Section...Angels on Earth


Welcome to the Sunday post. It's a day I share my soul.
Early this week I was in a grocery store checking line waiting to pay for a couple of items and run off to teach a cooking class. In front of me in line was a very loaded cart. I can't imagine how more toys could have fit in the cart. I was in a hurry. The clerk had "beeped" all the items and then the woman asked if she could have each toy put in a separate bag. I admit it...I may have been a bit jealous of the abundance of toys...and I assumed the worst. I was totally non-Christian and thought "her kids must be so spoiled!" Instantly I was put to terrible shame. The woman laid down a stack of "Christmas Angel" cards. One to go with each bag. Each bag a separate gift for a large number of children from families who did not have the money to buy toys for their own children. My heart stuck in my throat and I started to cry. How I had misjudged. How I had been humbled. How wonderful to see a miracle in action from one stranger to another. I learned a great lesson. I learned that I was a dork. I learned that I deep down had a great desire to give as I saw this woman doing. So, thank you dear lady wherever you are for that stack of toys. It reached my heart more than a thousand sermons. You really are a Christmas Angel.


Thomas S. Monson’s favorite scriptures: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, . . . my Spirit shall be in your [heart], and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”14 In the process of praying for those angels to attend us, may we all try to be a little more angelic ourselves—with a kind word, a strong arm, a declaration of faith...
I have spoken here of heavenly help, of angels dispatched to bless us in time of need. But when we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our own neighborhoods. Some of them gave birth to us, and in my case, one of them consented to marry me. Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind. "

1 comment:

mlebagley said...

Well spoken...thank you for sharing such a sweet experience!