Saturday, April 24, 2010

The First Gleaning



Hazaahhh! I never in a million years would have thought that I,the all together gal, would trickle a tear down my cheek at the sight of a zucchini growing. Alas, today, due to no unbalanced hormones whatsoever...(who am I kidding), I totally cried with joy at the sight of your new baby vegetables. A pea pod joined us as well.
A divine vine...
Okay...no berries yet, but I have to do a shameless shout out to the folks at Spring Hill Nurseries for this blackberry twig of glory...that actually sprouted and has some cool looking growth! I'm so excited!! Yes, I am hopelessly addicted to blackberries and have been known to walk around looking like a burn victim after a good encounter with some of these devils. Oh I love them...until I'm stained black and blue.

Now...this is where we gasp.
Ready? GASP. Our first meal from the garden we planted from seeds...spinach salad!

My son was giddy and somewhat awestruck. It was one of those moments I will never forget.
He planted the seeds, watered, weeded, prayed...and now look...
I don't think I've ever appreciated a meal as much as I did this one. Thank you Face...for making my gardening experiences so incredibly sweet. If I live to an old age...I will never look at spinach again without thinking of your dancing eyes when you picked those leaves today.
That's all I have to say about that. Oh...and LIFE is good!

3 comments:

Meadowlark said...

I would really like to say something nice and supportive. No, really.

But what I find my fingers typing is "DARN YOU for harvesting before I can even plant. DARN YOU"

I hope you get spinach stuck to your tooth for a picture
:(

Chef Tess said...

Oh my gosh! You made me laugh so hard there may be spinach stuck to my tonsils!

mlebagley said...

I love that your garden is doing so well! Very little can top the glee you feel when the fruits of your labor starts to show! I love it!