Sunday, October 17, 2010

Getting Along With Yourself (Bread of Life Section)

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.

What do you say to yourself when you look in the mirror? What do you say to yourself when you make a mistake? Is it the same thing you would say to someone you admire or to someone you deem as an enemy? In the relationships that matter most, like your family and children...what do you say to them to encourage and lift? Do you say those things to yourself? The single most important relationship you have is with the Lord. The second...is with yourself. "It may seem odd to think of having a relationship with ourselves, but we do. Some people can’t get along with themselves. They criticize and belittle themselves all day long until they begin to hate themselves. May I suggest that you reduce the rush and take a little extra time to get to know yourself better. Walk in nature, watch a sunrise, enjoy God’s creations... . Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you—as His precious daughter or son with divine potential." (Of Things That Matter Most )


You cannot "Love thy neighbor as thyself" if you despise and hate everything about yourself. That is how you will treat your neighbor. Some people assume that putting themselves down is okay. I'm here to tell you, that when you belittle yourself, you belittle God. You belittle one of His finest creations. When you knit-pick yourself...you're finding fault with something the Lord esteemed highly enough to offer up His Son to save. Be very careful how you talk to yourself.
Be grateful for that hair color for it is on a head that is still alive. Be thankful for eyes that see and hands that feel. Listen to good music...really drink it in. Bask in your blessings and take the time to love yourself a little more. I will too. By doing this, you will be a better friend, a better wife or husband, a better son or daughter, a better father or mother. I'm here to bare witness to the fact that if you do not learn to love yourself, you cannot teach others to love themselves. You cannot teach others to do something you cannot do. If I couldn't bake bread, how could I teach my children to do it? The same applies to love. I want my kids to love themselves. So, I must love all that I see in myself. I must love my weaknesses and hand them to the Lord. I must love my heart...and give it to Him as well.

Getting along with yourself, is the best step one can take toward getting along with anyone else. Ultimately it is the one person that you personally have the ability to change. You and only you can change you. Deep isn't it?

1 comment:

aswesow said...

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror
cause I get better loking each day.
To know me is to love me
...I must be a hell of a man.
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doing the best that I can

Seriously, I know you're right...but it can be difficult!