Sunday, October 31, 2010

Who's Holding You?

This is my father, a true follower of Christ and a man who loves his family with an amazing humble heart. I sat on his knee often as a child...and I miss him terribly.
When I miss him most, I think of these words...

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.

In life we have the chance to sit every now and then in the arms of a truly amazing soul. I was blessed to have such a father who loved us without fail and with love unfeigned. I shall always count that as one of God's greatest blessings in my life. Even now as an adult, the thing I miss most living far away from my father is having the chance to just have his arm around me. He always seems to know exactly what his little Tess really needs to hear. Yet, if I really think about it...I have someone holding me every day. It isn't an earthly father, though my father here is as close to God as I imagine a true disciple could be...but a loving Heavenly Father. When I pray, I imagine myself kneeling with my head on his knee and having him quietly listen to my thoughts and ideas. I can't imagine I'd feel any closer to Him than when I see him in those terms. Anxiously soothing His daughter as any truly loving Father would. Then, more often than not, I hear him whisper to me what I need to do or who I need to go help. That may be the most humbling moment of all...knowing that He needs me.

‎"In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even Greater importance." Deiter F. Uchtorf. That being said, what are the chances that the Lord has put into our lives the ability to bless for good the lives of thousands of his precious children? When I look at my fellow men, I can't help but think that of all the commandments my God has given me, the one that will always matter most to him is my compliance to his most amazing words, "As I have loved you, love one another." It's how you live and love that will set you apart as a true believer. Don't be fooled...prayer is one thing, but prayer with action...is a true sign of one who keeps the Faith. I believe in grace, but I also believe that "when ye have done it unto the least of these...ye have done it unto me." Done...is a verb.

There you go. Wake up and do something for your fellow men. God needs you to be His hands on earth.

4 comments:

Debra said...

Thank you so much for that beaqutiful message. You as lucky to still have your father around. I lost mine just days after I turned 14. He was a great man. He was kind and giving and loving. I am grateful to have found the gospel some 9 years later and last year I was able to do his work in the temple. I am so grateful for the gospel and the blessings of the temple. I know the temple is all true. And some day I will see my dad and be with him as an eternal family because of that. Have a beautiful day.

aswesow said...

I doubt my daughters will ever have such fond memories of me...but still, to know they have that heavenly Father, that's what is important. It means more to me than all the hallmark cards and sentimental moments on earth , that they have that relationship with their Heavenly Father. Your attitude on prayer and action, well it is so scriptural and so right. I fall so short so often tho, I'm so thankful for His grace.

Chef Tess said...

I'm so grateful for His Grace too. Honestly that is the whole point. You certainly can't work your way into His rest, for we will all fall short despite our best efforts. Thank the Lord for the gift of his Son and the atonement that makes it possible to be an eternal family with our Lord. I do think some miss the mark and stop trying to do good because they doubt they can ever really *be* good. He doesn't ask us to give him a perfect heart...just a willing heart. True?

Erica Miles said...

...true.