Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bread of Life...Of Sourdough and Scripture

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.

This is sourdough maple ginger cake.  At one point, someone gave me a sourdough starter  that originated in in the 1700's somewhere in England. I've used it ever since in sourdough pancakes and sourdough waffles I marveled at it's ability to add flavor and leavening and life to my bread. It was unlike any starter I had ever used and I continue to use it often.

Ah... Sourdough. The unique remarkable and powerful gift from a dear friend who loved me and wanted me to have something "more".

This week I am reminded of another gift. One I should use just as often.
"On October 6, in the year 1536, a pitiful figure was led from a dungeon in Vilvorde Castle near Brussels, Belgium. For nearly a year and a half, the man had suffered isolation in a dark, damp cell. Now outside the castle wall, the prisoner was fastened to a post. He had time to utter aloud his final prayer, “Lord! open the king of England’s eyes,” and then he was strangled. Immediately, his body was burned at the stake. Who was this man, and what was the offense for which both political and ecclesiastical authorities had condemned him? His name was William Tyndale, and his crime was to have translated and published the Bible in English."D.Todd Christopherson




May we feast continuously on the words of Christ that will tell us all things we should do. The words of scripture should be in the hands of the common man. We should be able to ask questions, learn, and inquire for ourselves what God would have us know and do.


Visit scriptures.lds.org to read or listen to the Bible and other volumes of holy scripture.

You can also readwatch, or listen to Elder D. Todd Christofferson’s April 2010 general conference address, “The Blessing of Scripture,” which is excerpted in this video.


There it is. Sourdough and Scriptures. The first adding flavor, leavening and life to my dough. The second...changing my heart, lifting my life and leading me to Christ. There really is no comparison. There was a boy who, years later, "drove a plow" as William Tyndale had predicted. His copy of the bible lead to a restoration of the gospel. He lived in America and became one of the greatest religious leaders I know.  Many have asked for more information on my faith and where it started and who our fist Prophet was in this age. Here is the video...

No comments: