Sunday, October 9, 2011

Get Ready to Watch the NBC 12 Morning Show Pumpkin Segment

Tomorrow, (Monday) at 6:45 AM on our local Phoenix NBC 12 morning show, I'll be making some amazing things with Pumpkin from our local Organic growers at  Love Grows Farms! I visited the farm yesterday and the pumpkins are beautiful! I adore their community supported agriculture program (CSA program ). It's an outstanding way to get organic veggies and not pay a ton of money.
One thing I found was their New England Pie Pumpkins (aka baking pumpkins) are amazingly sweet and wonderful for just what the name implies...baking. I popped the full size pumpkin, whole uncut, in my crock pot and let it go on low for 6 hours. After six hours I cut through the skin and scooped out the seeds, discarded...and had soft perfect pumpkin ready to bake with. No mess. It was awesome!
The smaller ones called Iron Man Pumpkins store up to 4 months and are great for pie too!
 This one is a classic Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin...but will bake well too.

Pumpkin is also a Powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, essential oils and fiber that your body needs! It's considered a super food among plants! I bet you just thought they were good for baking right? Nope. The consumption of pumpkin provides you with potassium, magnesium, alpha and beta-caretenes and antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E! They help provide a vast array of disease fighting nutrients. Plus, at 5 grams of fiber per 1/2 cup serving of pumpkin puree...they're an outstanding source for that too! 

Oh...and did you know that pumpkin seeds contain vitamin E, Iron, Magnesium, potassium, zinc, and are an outstanding source for plant based Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids?!



That being said, here's what I'm making on the show.
  If you want the printable recipes go  Here
On the show I'll be starting with sticky buns...







There you go! Enjoy the magnificent fall pumpkins! 


Go visit my friends at  Love Grows Farms

Remember my Free Cracker Making Class is tomorrow morning at 10 AM 
 Honeyville Farms Store
  33 South 56th Street Suite 1 


Chandler, AZ 85226

Phone: (480) 785-5210 






Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

1 comment:

mlebagley said...

Those pumpkin peach sticky buns of love were SO YUMMY! My mom made them and brought them to work for a coworkers birthday this week and my gluten restricted diet was howling at me to just this once CHEAT and eat some. I didn't, but did manage to scrape some of the goo off of the top and it was GOOD. I've had your squash rolls before and KNOW that they are fab. Put it together and what do you have? perfection. Mmmmm... yummy!