Friday, January 6, 2012

Banana Cakes and Needed Breaks




I've been going banana cakes. Literally. I've been creating all kinds of freakishly divine banana cakes and breads...among other culinary classics. Having a test kitchen at home is literally like never leaving the office. There's good and bad to that. Good that I can work in my jammies. Bad that I can work in my jammies. It's not pretty when I work this hard because I get wound up and don't allow myself to stop until I just fall down in a heap of pure banana pudding mush on my kitchen floor.  Tonight my darling Evil-genius friend Tara had the mental non-banana-cakes insight enough to call me out of my frenzy and take me to girl's night. Dinner and ... to the grocery store. Now, I don't know where this lovely obsessive thing with grocery stores started, but it seems hardly a night like this passes without us wandering up and down some store aisle looking for random yet cool grocery type-things. I found some good stinky cheese from France, admired funky pastries and stacks of gourmet tortillas. Hello. Then I fell in obsessive love like.  Yes. This place happened to have aprons...in the grocery store. Oh!! You have no idea how that did my heart good! Why? What is it about aprons?!  Is there a 12 step program for apron-a-holics? I'm ready to admit I have a problem. I'm not, however, willing to admit how many aprons  I actually own. Let's not get carried away with this confessing-we-have-a-problem crap stuff.


At the end of a crazy week it was just what I needed.  It was a reminder from a darling friend...that I don't need to go non-stop-Banana-cakes. I can just sit for a while...and breath...and be me. Thanks Tara. At the end of the night, I was back to my non-stressed self...ready to take the weekend off and remember the important stuff. Because really, when it's all said and done, banana bread can wait until Monday.  Bananas will be perfect by then anyway. Oh and Aprons...well...aprons will get old and wrinkle and fade away. Friends like Tara who remind you that you are human and that it's okay.  Those are things that should stay, well... forever. Xoxo! Next time, maybe I'll run into you at the grocery store over a wedge of stinky-divine-Frenchie- cheese and we can talk aprons. Until then...Thank you for being my friends.

There it is.
Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess 

1 comment:

Sassy said...

I LOVE YOU BOTH!!!!!!! And aprons too...THEY ARE JUST FUN!!!!! She is THE BEST!!!