Sunday, May 31, 2009

Painted Bread for breakfast




Look what we had for breakfast. It would make a beautiful and light dessert, don't you think? This is a painted shortcake with rhubarb and fresh cherry filling. New territory using the painted bread method on a quick bread, but the channel 10 segment has made me think about some quick and easy desserts people can make. That is what they want the segment to be on. I do what they need. Right?! With pleasure!! And I mean that most sincerely. I am honored that they want me to be on the show.
I would love to show everyone how to paint this bread with all natural ingredients. What do you think? Is is time to finally share a few of the secrets I use for painted breads? It's so easy you will be floored. I swear! I will be posting the full tutorial on this a week following my TV broadcast. I will also be sure to post a link to this segment as soon as possible so you can see me (so exited to be on TV!)... demonstrate it a little. It should be amazing!...I promise not to wet my pants.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to make the shortcake. It is delicious.

For shortcake, make the Homemade Bisquick (or buy the mix.) For store bought, use the directions for making 8 biscuits. With the homemade I use 2 1/4 cups mix, 5T sugar and a dash of cardamom. For the liquid, use 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg and a tsp vanilla, mixed well. Then add to the dry ingredients. Follow biscuit directions for forming and baking.
For rhubarb and fresh cherry filling combine:
2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup apple jam or green tomato marmalade(or flavor of choice...strawberry would be divine.)
In a microwave safe dish, place rhubarb and jam. Cook on high 3-5 minutes until tender.

Remove from microwave and fold in 1/2 cup fresh pitted and chopped cherries.

Serve nestled between the gorgeous shortbread. I look forward to sharing a lot more with you in the near future. Full Tutorial Tuesday will be June 16th. Come back and see me!

There you go.

2 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

These are great!

I am a fan:)

Nazarina A said...

This is art in the making and delicious to boot!