Saturday, March 26, 2011

Homemade Tomatillo Salsa...Yes we Can!


One of the all time favorites at my house is Salsa Verde. AKA Tomatillo salsa. Oddly enough, I realized today that I had never added it to my blog. This is a great human tragedy soon to be remedied by my stealthy fingers typing frantically.  I know everyone needs to know how to make it.  Okay, maybe not everyone per say, but everyone who has ever longed for a truely luscious green salsa recipe.  My husband Ace will literally crack open the bottles and drink them. Falling off the wagon...
 Note:  If you roast the peppers first, you'll have a slightly smoky depth to your sauce that will make your friends and family cry with joy and happiness...In Arizona we have markets that literally flame roast pounds and pounds of green chiles right in front of us. It's quite a nice perk to living in on the surface of the sun...I mean the valley of the sun.  


Tess' Green Tomatillo Salsa
  
5 1/2 cups chopped, cored husked tomatillos, pureed in food processor
1 cup onion, pureed in food processor
1 cup minced sorano green chili peppers (or for less hot, use mild roasted Hatch green chiles)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch minced cilantro
1 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon oregano, dried
1 cup vinegar (5% acidity or higher)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head-space. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.  Remove from canner and place on dry kitchen towel.  Allow to cool 12 hours.  Check the seals.  If properly sealed, store for up to a year.  If it didn't seal, it may be refrigerated up to 2 months. 
Yield: 5 1/2 pint jars (5 cups)

If you've never home canned before, see my handy post: 



There you go! 
Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess



5 comments:

Kira said...

I use a similar recipe but I roast everything in the oven for 20 minutes or so at 400. THEN I run it through the food processor. SOOO good!

Salsa Mama said...

Oh, BLESS YOU for this! I needed a great green salsa recipe, stat! Of course you came through for me. :) I will have to can some, since I am in a canning obsession of sorts. I WISH I could come to your class on Thurs, but I can't! :( I hope you do another one soon.

Gaylyn said...

This was so much fun to make! I have 4 pints in the canner and a small bowl in the fridge right now. I bought tomatilloes on a mark down and then found your recipe on Pinterest. This is my first experiment with salsa and tomatilloes. It smells wonderful and tastes great! I will definitely be making it again. Thanks for the recipe.

Mother Foulker said...

Can green tomatoes work instead of tomatillos? I bought green tomatoes for this and now I realize I made a mistake.

Unknown said...

Hey Chef Tess! For this tomatillo salsa recipe, how did you get it so thin? Mine came out more thick? We like thin salsa!