Friday, July 8, 2011

BFFF Starts Today! Best Friends, Finds, and Food!

I'm doing it! A Bold way of sharing and enjoying my friends and their successes here on my blog! I'm calling it...BFFF. Best Friends, Finds, and Food! Every Friday I will share some goodies, friends, and foods that have inspired me this week. I hope you will feel bold enough to share your creations with me and we can grow together! That being said...let's get this going! Tell your friends...and I'll tell mine!

I'm kicking it off with my friend Lin Sue Cooney from NBC. She has been inspiring me with her Toffee...and her words of Faith! When I was in for my gardening segment on Valley Dish, she brought me some of her latest creations! Brownie Cookies. These came with words of "keep God first and you will be successful Stephanie." I am so excited to share some of Lin Sue with you...well...the pictures anyway!

 I did a full album of pictures of her famous Sweet-Stops! Check it out here. Her Website has ordering info. for this outstandingly perfect toffee...and I'm hooked forever! Get Some!
The Secret Village is next up on my list of finds (and friends!) I went for a visit to the store, finally...after the Jan D' Atri radio show where I met the owner of the store, Bonnie...(pictured above on my left) I couldn't resist! Bonnie is amazing and we became fast friends. Her store is incredible! I can't even put words to what I found there! If you can imagine Mega-spaces full design and centerpieces...unique furniture...and whole sections of pet and kid stuff. I can't do it justice with a hundred-thousand-mega pictures!


They also had a  ton of crazy cool aprons. Given my affinity for Star Wars, this one made me especially happy! Bonnie told me they would like to start carrying my spice line when it is bottled...so I'll keep you all posted on that grand event!

After visiting Bonnie, I needed to see the new Honeyville Farms Grain Store in Chandler. What a FIND! The staff is so helpful and let's just say...They have Stuff! Okay...I can't just say "stuff"...and since they will be carrying my spices in their stores soon ...I have to show you more!

Premium Specialty Wheat Flours and More

Food Storage and Long Term Storage Foods

Whole, Cracked, and Mixed Grains

Freeze Dried Fruits and Vegetables

Whole Kernel Corn, Corn Flour, and More

Gourmet Hot Cocoa and Chocolates

Whole Grain Oats, Rolled Oats, and Oatmeal

Premium Pancake, Muffin, and Brownie Mix

Premium Seed Products

Real Fruit Smoothies and Mixes

Whole Grain Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran

Commercial Bulk Bakery Mixes

Soy Protein Isolates, Textured Soy Protein

Bakery Supplies and Ingredients



 Do you think we can do bread-in-a-bucket class? Will we have enough?

Tomorrow morning at 10 AM I'll be here!
Bold Better Bread Workshop
Saturday July 9th at 10:00 AM
I will cover all you need to know about grain, ingredients, tools and baking  used in professional bake shops that you can do at home! You won't want to miss this informative and zany-fun class!
 Come prepared to laugh and learn! Perfect for beginners and experienced bakers alike.
Honeyville Farms Retail Store - CHANDLER, AZ 33 South 56th Street Suite 1| Chandler, AZ 85226 Phone: (480) 785-5210



Now On to My FAB-Oooo-lous Friends on my 
 You really should join me Here! because I adore chattin' it up with my people. My friends keep me going. They remind me why I do what I do. You all make me smile! I asked for some pictures of what YOU were doing...and may I say, I have not been disappointed?!

Here are my favorites: 
First up...

Spelt Bread by Kelly Hill
From Kelly Hill who wrote:
"Yup, you're right about bread and those 8x4 pans. I divided a favorite recipe that had increased in volume after a tweak - had previously been baking a huge loaf in a 9x5. While it had nice shape, it was really too big/tall for the toaster and lunch box. These reasonably sized ones are perfect for my girls and family. Same recipe, bonus loaf. ☺"

Thank YOU Kelly! I had fun reading about your success and cheering you on! I'm so proud of you!

Next up:
"I love the Brick Oven for baking sourdough rounds, calzones, turnovers and pizza."
From the Steve Barker Band 

Can I just say...Steve Barker is so cool! I've had a great time not only hearing about his food adventures...but listening to his amazing musical talents on Steve Barker Band You Tube  On the 4th of July...this one especially made me tear up...in a good way.


Last but not least:

Chinese Sticky Ribs from Suzy-Homemaker who when I asked for baking pictures said,
"Only baking? crud.... I'm really more of a cook."  Suzy...come cook for me please! I asked her if she could share her recipe and she said,
 


"Of course I can share my recipe - they are a little involved but I swear there will never be one left on the platter. I always double the recipe because people eat so much and the glaze is amazing so you want extra.

 
Ribs
2 racks pork ribs (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds each), preferably St. Louis cut or baby back ribs (don't use full sized ribs, they dont' work - I have done this with boneless country style and the result is a pulled pork-like end product because the ribs are so tender; it worked well over rice with a little extra glaze drizzled over it.)
1cup hoisin sauce  
1cup sugar  
1/2cup soy sauce  
1/2cup dry sherry  
1(6-inch) piece ginger , peeled and sliced into rounds 
6 garlic cloves, smashed 
strips of orange peel from 1 orange 
1 1/2teaspoons cayenne pepper  
1 1/2 half inch bunch of fresh cilantro leaves with the stems chopped coarse (reserve leaves for glaze) 
8 scallions , white parts cut into 1-inch pieces (reserve green parts for garnish
Glaze
1 (10-ounce) jar red pepper jelly - I often cannot find red pepper jelly and have subbed with green pepper, ginger preserves, mango jelly or apple jelly - but I add a little more cayenne)
1/2 cup cider vinegar  
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves  
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper  
Minced scallion greens

1. For the ribs: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. With tip of paring knife, loosen membrane on underside of each rack of ribs. Grab membrane with paper towel and pull it off slowly in single piece. If you're lucky your butcher will do it for you. (Costco trims this routinely) Combine remaining ingredients in large roasting pan. Add spareribs to pan, turning to coat both sides, and arrange meaty side down. Cover pan tightly with foil and cook until just tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Transfer ribs to large plate.
2. For the glaze: Strain cooking liquid from roasting pan into large nonstick skillet and discard solids and remaining liquid. Using wide spoon or a fat separator, skim fat from liquid. Stir in jelly and vinegar. Bring to simmer over high heat and cook until syrupy about 15 to 20 minutes. Off heat, stir in cilantro and cayenne. If your jelly doesn't have enough pectin in it (enables glaze to get good and sticky) you can add a teaspoon of regular plain pectin during the boiling process. I also like to chill the glaze for a half an hour or so before I add it to the ribs to make it thicker so that it sticks to the ribs better.
3. Heat broiler (do not raise oven rack). Pour enough water into the roasting pan to cover bottom and lay a slotted pan (broiler, baking cooling rack) over the top of the roasting pan. I recommend spraying both pans with cooking spray liberally. Reserve 1/2 cup glaze for serving. Arrange ribs on rack meaty side down and brush with glaze. Place roasting pan back on middle rack in oven and broil until beginning to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip ribs over, brush with more glaze, then broil, brushing ribs with glaze every 2 to 4 minutes, until ribs are deep mahogany color, 9 to 12 minutes (watch broiler carefully). Transfer ribs to cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes. Slice between bones, transfer ribs to platter, and brush with reserved glaze. If you want really sticky ribs with sauce on all sides, cut the ribs apart before glazing - but this is tricky because they are very TENDER and will fall from the bone with a mere nudge. Sprinkle with scallions. Serve.
 
The ribs and glaze can be prepared through step 2 up to 2 days in advance. Wrap the ribs tightly in foil and refrigerate. Transfer glaze to microwave-safe bowl, cover, and refrigerate. Before serving, allow ribs to stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Heat glaze in microwave on high power until warm, about 1 minute. Proceed with step 3 as directed" --Suzy-Homemaker.

Thank you Suzy!!

At the end of a very long day, I found my son making dinner last night.  He baked biscuits and some beans.  He knew I had been up for two days working without a minute to breath...and I have to say that of all the friends, find, and food on earth...nothing will ever be more sweet than the LOVE if felt from that little boy in that dinner. Thank YOU Little Man. You're becoming the big Man I imagine will change the world.  

Now I have to say that I can't add everyone's pictures this week...and I got some gorgeous ones! So...keep them coming and I'll do a BFFF every Friday from here out! I'm loving the friendships I'm finding every day and the love that I feel from all of you around the world! It's an epic journey being a food person isn't it?  Let's take this road together. Big hugs and lots of love.

 Your friend,
Chef Tess. 

There you go. 
Want to send a picture for next week? Got a place for me to "find"...shoot me an email chef-tess@hotmail.com


OH yes...and remember the Upcoming Classes! They're free...and a great way to become a real-life friend! Lookin' forward to seeing you soon!

1 comment:

hobby baker Kelly said...

What a son! Now that's an awwwww, hugs and tears from mommy moment if ever I saw one. And so exciting to have your spices out and about!