Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Personal Lunch or Dinner Meal in a Jar or Mylar. Peanut Sweet Potato Chicken Stew



Today marks day two of our week of meals in a jar or mylar for personal sized meals. I've done a lot of family sized meals on the blog noted as my 52 jar method initially. If you want to see how it is done, I'd suggest seeing the 52 jar method video tutorial for the jars. If you want to make shelf-stable bag meals, I'd suggest looking at the post on the 52 method mylar bags. Many of them are already in PDF format and can be found under the 52 Method Printables . I'm happy to report that the book is coming along nicely and the Gourmet Food Storage Handbook, by Chef Stephanie Petersen (yes that's me) will be out in December 2013. The second book, the meal in a jar handbook...is well underway and over half written. So, it will follow shortly thereafter. I'm personally hoping by May or June. Obviously, all this stuff takes time and effort. 


What about today's recipe then?
This recipe is particularly special to me. Why? Well, Evil Tara shared this recipe link with me about a year ago for Peanut Sweet Potato Soup with Jicama Slaw. It sounded brilliant...but I didn't ever try making it. Then, of course, I did make it...6 times. I loved it!  My sophisticated spagettios-eating husband could care less if he ever saw this one again. So, it came to this. I, Chef Tess, needed to make this a meal all for myself. It is my selfish delight. Sue me. That being the case, I didn't want to make a huge batch and have it sit in my fridge or freeze it either. I wanted to take it with me to glamorous places...like my hotel rooms when I travel so I could have a healthy homemade meal and watch the "Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and weep like a sissy. So, I decided I needed to adapt it to a meal in a mylar for when I travel or visit Tara. Oh. I also needed to make it a meal in a mylar so I could take it in my checked luggage on the plane. I'm weird. It is official.  On my last trip to beautiful California, I discovered a very handy friend. I call her (quick pinkie finger lift and eyebrow raise...) "Mini-Me." Okay..."Mini Meal". One person sized crock pot for the desk...or fancy hotel room. Oh, I hope that doesn't make me officially lame for not eating out on my travel trips. Yes. It is pink. How totally predictable could I be? Oh...no polka-dots. How sad.  I'll have to fix that flaw. Oh...remember the 52 Method Thai Chicken in Spicy Peanut Sauce? Yes. This is a cousin. 




So for the amazing soup, here's the adapted shelf-stable Chef Tess version of this meal. It is now one of my favorite go-to meals on the go (or any day of the week when Ace wants spaghettios).  I happen to adore sweet potatoes and even grew some  Sweet Potatoes From Outer Space. I don't know where that obsession came from, but I'm blaming my very southern-rooted great-great grandpa from Virginia for it. Freeze Dried Sweet Potatoes{different from dehydrated varieties} are big chunks of lovely very southern sweet potatoes. Not yams. 



In this beautiful peanut sweet potato stew they are the perfect contrast of texture. 

Chef Tess' Peanut Sweet Potato Chicken  Stew
2T dehydrated onion
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp Chef Tess' Gingham Masala Spice Blend
2T freeze dried celery
2T Dehydrated Carrot
1T red bell pepper granules
1/4 cup Freeze Dried Sweet Potatoes
1 tsp chicken bouillon (no msg)
1/4 cup Freeze Dried Chicken (optional)
2T powdered peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp dehydrated cilantro
1/3 cup Tomato Powder

Follow the directions for making into 52 method mylar bags or jars. Top each with an oxygen absorber. I get mine here for the smaller pouches. 
To prepare the stew: Add 2 cups water to the dry ingredients and simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes. Or, put in a mini-crockpot and cook 1 hour. Or, microwave with 2 cups waters high 2 minutes. Stir. Cover and cook 50% heat 5 minutes more. Allow sitting 6 minutes before serving. 

One last word on the spices today...
Gingham Masala Spice Blend is my own delightful blend of Indian spices. It is perfectly balanced with enough heat and depth to really make this meal remarkable. Plus, I actually donated this whole spice formulation to a very noble cause. 

 It is a spice recipe by me, but any and all sales go to directly benefit ophan children of HIV victims and families in impoverished India through the efforts of the The Gingham Project!


There you go. Make some personal Lunch or dinner. This recipe is one of my favorites! Be sure to come back tomorrow for more personal meals! 

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess









4 comments:

Blessings Farm said...

we have a peanut allergy...is there a substitute for this.. like sunflower or something, that you would recommend?

Chef Tess said...

Yup. Omit the peanut butter powder. It helps thicken the stew, but you can totally make it without it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds so yummy. I'm going to make it this afternoon. I've been dividing some of your other recipes to make individual meals. Thanks for helping me with the math! I feel like you're my new best friend. I check your blog and Honeyville every day to see what's new. I've purchased so much from Honeyville that I already have everything this recipe calls for. I put together several of your 52 meals in a jar while Hurricane Issac approached the gulf. Started the hamburger stew in the crock pot in the early morning before Issac hit the Louisiana coast. By the time we lost power, it was done and I could place in a holding hot pot for supper. It was certainly a comfort to have a hot meal during the storm. thanks for all you do. I appreciate your tremendous efforts.

Marilyn

Gayle said...

This looks awesome Chef Tess! I hope you don't mind that did a link over to your blog today when I wrote a post on preparedness. I can't wait for your book to come out!
Blessings,
Gayle from Behind the Gate