Monday, November 7, 2011

Light and Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits (Like Knotts Berry...and KFC...)



Ace really loves KFC's Biscuits. What's not to love in terms of mouth feel and flavor. Is it the light layer of crispy butter-flake crust and tender fluffy stuff? I love them myself...except the price. Not a fan of paying for something I can pretty much make for pennies at home and know that it has ingredients I can control.Wholesome flours...not a ton of chemicals.  So, when my friend Sonja asked me on my Facebook Page if I had a recipe for Knotts Berry Farms buttermilk biscuits, I found one Here that sounded promising, not only as a NBF knock off...but as a similar product to the biscuits Ace loves from the national chicken chain.  However, I wanted to tweak it a little and give it my own Chef Tess twists. I do that ya know.   The ensuing baking was a perfect light and fluffy biscuit...so much like the national chicken place, but better. Ace said, "They're not as greasy tasting...and have better flavor." Do I tell him now or later that there's not any hydrogenated palm kernel oil and junk in my biscuits like the chicken chain? Um...I didn't tell him mine were better for his heart. Somehow still, without all that info,  he was completely excited! I don't normally use white flour, but tonight it was a fun diversion. It's still homemade. Plus...I'll let you in on some tricks.


The secret to these tender and amazing biscuits is, in fact, how they are baked. The dough is actually completely low fat, lightly mixed to make a tender biscuit. The secret is rolling them to a half inch thickness and after cutting them, dipping them in a quality olive oil. For me, that is what made them wonderful. You can, of course, use melted butter. I liked the flavor of  my favorite Wild Groves Toasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil. Thanking the fine folks at Lucero once again for the awesome oil they sent me! It just has amazing balance and depth in the oil. The temperature they are baked at is pivotal as well. 500 degrees. It seems hot but they only bake 8-10 minutes and I get a really fast high rise biscuit from it!

Chef Tess Berry Farm Buttermilk Biscuits

2 c. All Purpose Flour OR 1 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. + 2 tbsp. buttermilk (Or 1 cup milk plus 2T vinegar in a cup for 10 minutes to curdle slightly)
1/2 c. Wild Groves (garlic infused)



1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Do it! That high temperature is amazing for biscuits.
2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
3. Add soda to buttermilk, then add to flour mixture.
4. Blend thoroughly, just until moist. Do not overmix!
5. Place dough on floured surface and sprinkle with additional flour. Do not overwork dough. Roll out 1/2 inch thick; cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter.


  Dip biscuits in Lucero Olive Oil oil to cover all sides. 


 Place immediately on oiled baking sheet with all biscuits touching. I use a baking stoneware pan that I preheat in the oven while I mix the biscuits. I just like how it works. 

 Bake at 500 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until browned.


I really wish the picture could do the flavor justice. 


There you go. Some pretty outstanding biscuits. 


If you want to enter the giveaway, be sure to leave a comment telling me you posted it on Facebook/Twitter and sent me an email with your side dish recipe. If there's a source, it must be listed as well. I'm a big fan of giving people credit for their recipes. It's a morally good thing to do. So...Thursday I'll be posting the top 5 Thanksgiving Side Dish recipes...and contacting my winners! Good luck!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

4 comments:

KellyTheChef said...

LOVE the biscuit recipe!

I sent you a very simple but DELISH side dish entry!

:)
Kelly

Coby said...

These look so good! I have recently cut out meat and dairy from my diet and these would be easy to modify with non dairy milk. I thought I wouldn't be eating biscuits since they are usually full of butter!

Jeri said...

made them tonight - they were a hit! THANK YOU

Tara said...

I just made these for my family. They were delicious! My kids absolutely loved them, especially my bread-loving 9 yr. old. :) Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm adding it to my recipe collection.