Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sourdough Biscuits With Garlic and Cracked Pepper




I love Sourdough! I use the starter not only for bread, but also for cake, pancakes, and biscuits. Last night I made these for dinner with the simple addition of fresh pressed garlic and cracked black pepper. It had such wonderful taste I had to share! They quite literally flew right off the tray!

Sourdough Biscuits

2 cups flour ( I use whole grain white wheat...I grind my own, but King Arthur makes some)
1T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening (I use the healthy variety called Spectrum-- cold pressed shortening)
1 cup sourdough starter (more to come on Sourdough starters...I promise!!)
melted butter (or olive oil)
1 clove crushed garlic
fresh cracked pepper

Mix together the dry ingredients. With a pastry blender or a fork, cut up the shortening into the flour mixture until the pieces are tiny... like peas. Stir in the sourdough starter just until it is blended. Put a little flour on the counter top and put the dough on the flour. Put a little flour on top of the dough and with a rolling pin roll out in a circle until the dough is 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet... a pretty thick one so they won't burn. Bake at 450degrees for 10 minutes. Crush garlic into melted butter and spread over biscuits. Crack pepper over the top and serve hot. Perfect and quick for dinner! These would be AMAZING with cheese folded in the dough! About 1/4 cup sharp cheddar or blue cheese...ouch...

2 comments:

Goob said...

hmmmm, you've inspired me. I let my sourdough starter die, but I think its time to start a new one. I baked focaccia for the first time in a couple of years yesterday and the dough felt so good in my hands I realized I have really missed baking!

Chef Tess said...

You know that I probably need therapy for saying this, but dough is one of my best de-stress projects. I think You should totally make the sourdough...and call me when you make more focaccia!! It's one of my favorite foods!! I love you girl!!