Monday, February 6, 2012

6 Grain Carrot Cake Breakfast Pudding ( In a Jar...52 Method Continues))

I sat down at my grandmother's kitchen table and shredded carrots, peeled apples, crumbled homemade bread and waited as impatiently as a little seven year old girl could wait to finally see steamed spiced carrot-pudding emerge from grandma's oven. It was full of fruit, heavy with spice and fudge-like in texture. It was pure heaven.  This breakfast cereal tastes like a cross between her pudding...and a rich carrot cake. It's not as sweet as carrot cake or as dense as grandma's pudding  so add more sweetener if you prefer. I tend to under-sweeten and let people adjust to their tastes. Grandma used to drizzle her pudding with a warm tart lemon sauce. I just drizzled this with some coconut milk and topped it with toasted nuts. However you do it...this is going to be a family favorite. I know it will be.

In the grand and beautiful world of cooking with whole grain, it's sometimes a blessing and a curse to love food as much as I do. I mean, in all honesty, I can't imagine doing anything else for a living. I dance gleefully in my kitchen daily. Daily. Who can really say that about their job? I giggle. I get giddy-happy when a plan comes together or a recipe turns out exactly as my chef-mind imagined it would and could. This is one of those dishes. It's a "dancing-happy-people-holding-hands" kind of taste. (You'll have that song in your head all day now huh?)  Making it healthy and also good to keep in the food storage is also a big deal to me. So, the 52 Method Meals in a Jar  that I announced a while ago and that has since gone completely crazy (in a good way) continues today. It's a basic menu planning method for food storage based on meals that your family will eat, having all the ingredients in one-quart size jar. ONE jar...easy to find. Easy to plan.

Special thanks to my Chef Tess Thrive Life Foods for the products we're using in today's post.  I've had a lot of folks now asking what we have on the menu for the breakfast/brunch meal. I plan two meals a day for emergency situations and long-term issues. So. This is the first breakfast recipe I'm sharing. It's shelf stable 8-10 years and makes a breakfast cereal that's a cross between a carrot cake and a rich pudding. It's a sin...yet it's healthy!
It's hard to imagine it looks like this in a jar right?
Chef Tess' 6 Grain Carrot Cake Breakfast Pudding (in a jar)
1/2 cup Freeze Dried Pineapple or Freeze Dried Apples
1 cup Dehydrated Carrot
1/2 cup instant non-fat dry milk
1/4 cup Powdered Butter
1/2 cup dehydrated honey or sugar
2T Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp  Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice Blend
2 cups 6 Grain Rolled Cereal

Place pineapple and carrots in a quart jar. Top with powdered milk, butter, honey, flavorings, pudding mix, salt and spice blend. Shake the dry ingredients down into the carrots and pineapple. Top with the 2 cups of 6-grain cereal. The jar will be full. Top with an oxygen absorber.

To Prepare:
Bring 5 cups water to a rolling boil. Add contents of the jar to the water and stir. Lower heat to a simmer and cook 10-12 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover and sit 5 minutes (to be sure pineapple is hydrated).  Serve warm. Drizzle with milk, honey or syrup if desired. Top with chopped pecans or any nuts as desired as well. Note: high-fat nuts are not included in the meal in a jar. This will give you an extended shelf life of 8-10 years. 



There you go! 
Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

40 comments:

Angela said...

I'm only short the powdered coconut and vanilla flavorings in this one. Can I substitute by just adding some liquid flavorings when I cook it? Would it be totally off without the coconut flavoring? What if I added shredded coconut before cooking and regular vanilla extract? Thanks!

Chef Tess said...

You can use the liquid flavoring when you cook it. It won't be off too much. Just use 1 tsp coconut flavor and 2 tsp vanilla. Let me know how it goes. Enjoy!

Brenda Dlr said...

NOW we're talkin'!!! This looks fantastic!!!

Does Honeyville carry the coconut and/or vanilla flavoring powders? If so, I don't guess I've seen everything they carry like I thought I had... ;-D

Chef Tess said...

Brenda, a few of the Honeyville retail locations carry the powder. It's made by Mix-a-meal company. You can find them online here :http://www.preparednessplus.net/ at one time they had the flavors individually, but now I can only see them in the multi-pack. So, it's optional to use them. Just use the instant pudding mix.

mlebagley said...

Um. YUMM!!! This is droolerifc...which means you made me drool in a terrific kind of way ;) LOVE it!

The Robbs said...

Not really related to this post, but... How do I make my own instant beans? I don't own a solar oven. Is there another way to do it? Honeyville is not selling them online yet. Thanks!

Chef Tess said...

They should be up on Honeyville's site within a week or so. I know you can also get them from Shelfreliance.com (they call theirs instant beans but they're the same product essentially). If you don't have a solar oven you can follow the directions for making the beans just cook them normally and then use a dehydrator uses hot air.

Wiloni said...

I have a large family, how many people do your jar mixes normally feed? You say the whole family, I'm a bit nervous that one jar would leave my family hungry. Also, could these mixes be stored in food saver bags or Mylar bags? If in the food saver bags, would an oxygen absorber be necessary after the machine removes the air?

Chef Tess said...

I have 4 adults (me, husband, his parents), an almost 13 year old boy who eats like a teen and a 9 year old boy. Some of the meals are just enough for a hearty serving without left overs. Some make enough for there to be some left over. I'd suggest making a recipe and seeing if it will do the job or not. The stews, soups and chili are more hearty. The pasta skillets are just enough for 2 adults and 2 kids without left over. We usually have bread with our meals or some fresh salad. This one, when cooked made about 9 cups of thick pudding that kept me feeling full about 5 hours. You just have to try them and adjust as needed for your family. I'm working on the nutritional break downs and the calorie counts now, but it's a project. The recipes can usually be doubled and done in a mylar bag (shelf stable up to 5 years) I don't think you need an oxygen pack on those, but I haven't tested that theory or the fact that the powder might get stuck in your tube. On the Foodsaver bags, I wouldn't suggest it for the freeze dried meats. If you use the TVP it would be fine, but I haven't tested the shelf life on those bags.

Ruby Jean said...

Oh my GOODNESS!!! I just came across your site Via Pinterest...Can I come over for like a Weekend..NO a WEEK camp of In the Jar Cooking...:) I am a Hands on kind of learner that has to ask a Gazillion questions.. LOL!! I am so looking forward to pouring over your Tasty and Fun site... Just became your newest In the Jar follower... :) Have a great week!!
Angelina

Ann said...

May we have your grandmother's original recipe? I would like to fix this now without freeze dried ingredients. P l e a s e?? Thank you.

Chef Tess said...

For fresh ingredients, use 1 cup fine shredded carrot and 1 cup pineapple (crushed) or shredded apple. Reduce water to 4 cups instead (Or use 4 cups milk). Grandma's recipe is a baked pudding using bread in the oven. It would need it's own post. It's just not the same stuff.

Chef Tess said...

BTW...I am sooo loving all these sweet comments! Thank you!! Camp-overs would be fun!

Karen D. said...

Can you use rolled oats instead of the 6 Grain cereal?

Chef Tess said...

Yes. You can use rolled oats instead of the 6 grain cereal.

The Wanbergs said...

Do you think in this recipe you could use ground flax seed instead of powdered butter as long as you use it within a few months?

Chef Tess said...

Yes. The recipe is just a guideline and I personally love adding flax seed to this. One year shelf life with the flax seed in this as long as it's in a cool dry place.

Amanda Sanger said...

Please, could you post a link here to the original bread pudding recipe? Pretty please?

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. I will make it in the morning. However, thoughts on adding raisins?

Ameretat said...

What is a oxygen absorber? Just getting started so asking questions. Can't wait to make this.

Ameretat said...

What is a oxygen absorber? Sorry. I am new to this.

Chef Tess said...

Amanda, I haven't posted grandma's original recipe yet. I should do that soon. Sorry I can't link to it yet.

Anon...yes you can add raisins only if you're doing it for breakfast and not longer term. The moisture in the raisins will cause problems for the longer term storage items in this.

Ameretat...If you go to the original 52 method post, I explain what everything is and how to make the jars. You need oxygen absorbers for the longer term storage.

JenP said...

I just made this and it is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipes. Breakfast can be challenging so I'm really happy to have something to look forward to eating.

Tammi said...

Can I use Thrive diced carrots? Love all your recipes!! Thank you so much!

Chef Tess said...

I don't know if the Thrive ones will work. Are they puff dried? If not, you'll have to try it and let me know.

Michelle said...

Does it matter if you use pure vanilla powder vs. imitation vanilla powder? I'm assuming quantity would be the same, perhaps just quality of taste?

Chef Tess said...

If you can find the pure vanilla powder use it! Really awesome flavor for sure. I have an all natural Tahitian Vanilla powder, but it isn't available to the general public.

Anonymous said...

Would this recipe work by soaking the ingredients in water overnight without cooking?

Chef Tess said...

It would hydrate, but I the texture of the oats wouldn't be the same as if they were cooked.

Anonymous said...

I've been over your site for the last few months gathering supplies so that I can make the 52 jar method recipes. Specifically the personal sized meals. I swear I read a post for this recipe in a personal sized jar although I cannot find it now. Did you post such a thing? If not, do you have any suggestions on how to make this personal sized? Thank you!

Chef Tess said...

Personal size is generally done by dividing this recipe into 1/4th (though it still makes a lot of pudding). Hopefully that helps.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the information on personal sized meals. I look forward to making many of your meals.

JG said...

Living in California, storing things in a jar is NOT SAFE! Can this be stored in a ziploc or other plastic container safely?

Chef Tess said...

You can use the PET containers with a metal lid or make mylar bags: http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-make-homemade-mylar-packed-52.html these are earthquake safe.

Unknown said...

This is absolutely wonderful!!! I didn't put it in a jar, I just cooked the ingredients and we enjoyed it now!!!

Anonymous said...

Sаved as a favorite, I really like your blοg!

My weblog ... Scott Tucker Racecar Driver

Analisha said...

I searched everywhere for the coconut flavoring powder and can't find it. Even from the firehouse pantry. Can I substitute with coconut cream powder ?

Anonymous said...

Please, please, I have searched all over the web to find how to prepare the mason jars to make the Meals in a Jar. Using new jars, do I just put in a dishwasher, and then hand wash the rings and lids? Obviously they all have to be dry before putting dried goods into the jars, but do I need to boil the lids, cook the jars? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. I know, always use a new lid😄

Unknown said...

I sanitize in dishwasher; air dry overnight on rack. New rings and seals ALWAYS and use a vacuum sealing machine.Airtight and sealed and can be kept for up to 5 yrs. unopened.

iris said...

Your choice of glass container over metal is very good. Deer will break containers with their hooves such as a metal can but they will not break glass, perhaps, from experience. I would probably add loose rice over a paper towel at the bottom for moisture. Thanks for sharing. Will try the recipes.