Sunday, January 18, 2009

Apple Sourdough Bread


In order to make the Apple Sourdough, you will need some Apple Sour. Look for directions in the previous post: Apple Sour...The Starter based on Apples. There is no commercial yeast or fat in this bread. It's purely apple, flour, water, salt and honey. That's as natural as an apple falling off the tree...
You will also need whole wheat bread flour from hard white or red wheat. I mill my own flour. (See the posting: Flour making day...flour power.) but you can buy an quality flour (like King Arthur). My only hard fast rule, is that the flour must be fresh. Take a pinch in your fingers and if there is not a hint of bitterness, it is fresh and ready for bread.



There are two "builds" or stages of this bread. Basically one dough that ferments a long time and then is broken up and made into a final dough. All in all you handle the dough between 5-10 minutes a day, for 2 days. I don't know if that is too much time. I think it's worth it, and frankly people spend that much time watching commercials. Why not turn off the tube and make some bread. It brings me a whole lot of "quiet". The repetitive motion is almost like meditation...but I eat my Zen results. Haa.
The first dough, or build has these ingredients:

2 T honey
1 cup water
3/4 cup Apple sour
4 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour.

Combine and knead 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Form into a ball and place in a large lightly oiled bowl, covered, for 8-10 hours (or refrigerate up to 24 hours depending on what your schedule is like).

Second Build:

1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup shredded apples
1/2 cup water
Dough from first build
1 1/2 cup whole wheat bread flour
1 T salt
(1 cup cooked wheat or grain if desired)

In a large bowl or kitchen aid, combine apples, water, and dough from the first build (cut up into several pieces...I kinda just mush it up with my fingers like I'm back in kindergarten). Add the salt and 1 cup of the flour. Knead 5-7 minutes (add the whole cooked grain the last minute of kneading so that gluten can develop properly for good bread). Add the remaining flour only if dough is VERY wet. It should be a moist dough. Remove dough from bowl and form into a ball. Place in a large covered crock or bowl and allow to raise 5-8 hours in a 75-80 degree room (dough should be about 80 degrees). If you want to have dough raise in the fridge, it can be there for 18-24 hours. Remove from bowl and form into 2 loaves (need help on forming loaves? The posting? sprouted wheat bread with a meat grinder has step by step pictures). Place loaves in 8 by 4 by 4 inch loaf pans, or free standing artisan bread on stoneware like I do. Make sure stoneware is coated with cornmeal or seeds. Mist with water and place in unheated oven out of draft 3-4 hours, depending on the dough temperature. If dough was in the fridge, it will take at least 4 hours.
Remove from oven. Turn oven on to 425 degrees to preheat. Bake 20 minutes then lower temperature to 375 degrees and bake 20 more minutes, until internal temperature is 175 degrees tested with a meat thermometer.




Isn't it beautiful?

Here's my final word...for now...

You can add flavors!

Some of my favorite savory loaves include:

Raisins and Rosemary (1 cup golden raisins and 1/3 cup chopped rosemary)

Roasted Garlic (about 3/4 cup in place of the shredded apple added in the second build with 2T crushed fennel seed)

Roasted Bell pepper (about 3/4 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers in place of the shredded apple, added in the second build)

Sweet loaves:

Sweet potato: add 1/2 cup cooked mashed sweet potato, 3T cinnamon, 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger, 1/2 cup chopped nuts...like hazelnut or almonds.

Apple cinnamon and spice: Add cinnamon and spice. Glaze with icing.

4 comments:

mlebagley said...

How did you find out about this stuff? I'm going to try it! It looks easy enough...the key is to put the apple sour in the fridge once it's soured, right?

Gluten Free Sourdough Baker said...

Thanks for this very interesting recipe. I was searching how to use apples combined with my gluten-free sourdough bread which is a technique I developed for myself and my many food allergies. Your excellent recipe and directions will help me to give it a try.

Fabulous blog! looking forward to learning more!
thanks,
sharon
glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It was so easy to get the directions for the apple sour, but the actual bread recipe was difficult to understand even though I had it translated by my computer. Why couldn't both have been in English? It sure was a surprise when I looked up the receipe and had to translate it. Makes me worried that it didn't translate right and my bread won't turn out wonderful.

Chef Tess said...

I'm not sure I understand. The recipe is in English. Do you need the metric weights for the recipe?