Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just Like Granny's Apple Cake

Granny Smith Apples. Ahh. What is it about those tart crispy apples that keeps me coming back for more? Thank you Washington State. I salute you today with this entry. My favorite apple cake recipe. It's one of those I found quite by chance in an old church cookbook. You know the ones I mean? Fundraiser cookbooks that have 25 similar recipes all with the title "The BEST EVER..." or "so-n-so's FAMOUS blah-blah-blah". This is a recipe I adore. I don't know if it is the best ever in the history of mankind...stop the universe and read my blog...but it's pretty amazing. I love it. The best part, it has everyday ingredients that most people have at home. I will refrain from mentioning that I usually add a touch of culinary lavender. Who else keeps that on hand?

Here is the recipe.
I used to make this at a bakery and it was very popular. Try it with cream cheese frosting and toasted walnuts--today it was pecans. Cry for the joy of pure wholesome fattening-ness (is that a word?) and think of your dear granny who probably made this cake once...or one similar.

Raw Apple Cake from an old church cookbook

Cream together:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp double strength vanilla

Sift together:
2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda

Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk.

Add: 3 granny smith apples (peeled, and pared and and diced) Bake at 350 degrees in a greased 9 by 13 inch cake pan (about 40 minutes) or 2 8 inch rounds (20-25 minutes). Frost generously with cream cheese frosting. I also add a tsp of crushed lavender petals to the sifted ingredients.

This I did in 2 8 inch cake pans. I grease and flour the pans to keep them from sticking, but you could just line them with parchment paper. Do what you want.

Have you ever seen an apple cake with big chunks of apple like this?


They just poke out of the batter...

and the cake.
Pretty special. Even better with the evil cream cheese frosting...

Cream cheese frosting...

1 stick (1/4 pound) regular butter, softened
1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

In large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and vanilla and blend until smooth. Don't over mix as cream cheese will separate and become runny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!