Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lehavah Ooo-La-la Cornmeal Anise Cookies with Orange Icing



Jimmy Crack Corn and I don't care..


What kind of attitude is that?
This is a corny post. Brace yourself.


My friend Ronit Lehavah came to visit last weekend. I had not seen her in years... After the girlie squealing died down...which was a while, we chatted. Oh it was heaven on earth. Her mom came too and we found we both have a great passion for cooking--ooo I love kindred cooking souls!! Drooling over old school cookbooks. It wasn't pretty to see the drool, but fun. I am sure we will hear more from Linda in the future. Love love darling!!

Okay so back to the Ronit subject. Ronit has some very unique dietary needs. Ones that effect many, but that seem especially challenging for me now, because she is my dear friend and her pain is mine. How's that for enmeshment? At any rate, here is what we know so far...no gluten. That's one I can usually handle, but add to that...no rice, no potato...EEEK!! The only starches she can have are tapioca, corn, and buckwheat. That's it folks. So I have decided to add some recipes that will henceforth be known as "Lehavah Ooo-la-la"
So let's get Crackin'. Ronit needs some REAL food. Well, maybe a treat. Cornmeal cookies are my answer to the craving for sugar cookies. Sorry my "no sugar" friends. This one has some. I didn't take the time to try it with honey but try using 1/2 cup honey to replace the sugar and one less egg. It should be fine.
Wouldn't you know that I was plum out of cornmeal when I decided to do this recipe but we did have popcorn. So it went into the mill. You can just use regular cornmeal if you don't want to put your kids to work.


I really liked seeing my son pump the crank and show me his pecks. Quite funny.

Get your stuff together:

2 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup soy flour (Ronit can have soy! Yea!!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened (you can use the Heart healthy stuff too)
1 tsp anise extract (or 2 tsp seeds...Ronit can't have seeds)
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg replacement)

frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T water (more or less depending on how thick you like your icing)
2 tsp orange zest

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees (or open the flaps of your solar oven and point it toward the sun). Combine the cornmeal, soy flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and butter until they look like this...

Now, here's a trick...if I can share one. Take this mixture and put it in a quart size storage bag. Write "Add 2 eggs, mix well, put on greased cookie sheet, flatten and bake 8-10 minutes." .Repeat the measuring and mixing process as many times as you want, and you have cookie mix, ready to turn into cookies at a moment's notice. If you use butter, store the mix in the freezer. Really, we don't want rancid tasting puke mix. Right? Note to self: make super luscious cookie mix for when Ronit visits again...

Okay, now if you intend to bake the cookies now...and really, why wait? Add your eggs and anise extract (you can use almond or vanilla if you prefer)


Mix them really well. It's gonna be crazy tight.


Put little Tablespoon balls on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten with your hand.
Bake 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes...until they are all golden and toasted. MMM.

Cool slightly on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack. When cool completely, combine the ingredients for the frosting and spread on the cookies...

They are crispy and yummy. Plus, look how cool the frosting looks. Love you Ronit!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Where's a good place to get a wheat grinder?

Chef Tess said...

Amy, I got this one at a local market for pretty cheap...under 20$ This one cheap. It doesn't do fine grains, try here. The Wonder mill Jr. deluxe is supposed to be very good. I haven't bought one like this yet. Someday soon. ...http://www.bestkitchenmachines.com/category/582636

Anonymous said...

We are soy free, what can I use as a substitute?

Chef Tess said...

I've made them without the soy all together and they have been fine. Just very tender.