Thursday, January 1, 2009

Overnight Miracle Wheat Pancakes... whole grains, in your blender!!

Soaked wheat goes from this...
to these!

With your blender

...and some goodies.


The batter cooks up just amazing!



So another crazy thing I do...among other things, is make pancakes from the whole grains of wheat, without flour. You read that right too. We started soaking wheat for bread, but it takes 3-4 days before the bread is ready. Pancakes however are just around the corner. This one uses soft wheat, so that you get fluffy pancakes. It's worth trying at least once, but I think you will be pleased with how easily they come together.

Chef Tess
Blender Whole Wheat Pancakes

You will need:
1 cup soft wheat (red or white)
1 cup milk or soy milk
2 eggs, or 1/2 cup egg replacements
2 T cold pressed oil--or the oil of your choice
1T honey (or 2 T sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest
1. Soak 1 cup soft red or white wheat in 3-4 cups warm water overnight, about 8 hours.
Soft wheat has a lower protein content and will make light pancakes,while hard red works, but it is a little tricky to get a fluffy end result. I love these with soft white wheat if you can find it.

2. Drain wheat well. Don't soak longer than 18 hours, or it will be funky!

3. Put drained wheat and 1 cup organic vanilla soy milk (or regular milk works too!)

4. Blend 3 minutes on Liquefy setting Leave blender on, just open the little top thing (sorry this is so technical).

5. Add 2 eggs,2 T oil ,2tsp baking powder.1/2 tsp salt, 1T honey, 1/2 tsp vanilla, dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and fresh orange zest (micro plane)Continue to blend about 2 minutes. Total 5 minutes blending. If you don't blend long enough, the wheat will be chunky instead of a smooth batter.Pour right from blender onto a hot griddle. Yields about 12 4 inch pancakes.

8 comments:

sarah k. said...

I love this. I'm going to try it, as soon as I can get my hands on some soft wheat, which is freakishly difficult in Ohio, as nobody bakes or keeps a 2 year supply :)

I've been experimenting with a batter for 100% buckwheat pancakes/waffles. I tell you, if you get it right, it's divine. Buckwheat flour, chopped pecans, soymilk, flax meal (vegan recipe), maple syrup, etc. I have gotten these at the local farmer's market, with bananas, pecans, and maple syrup on top, and I nearly died. I asked them about the recipe and they admitted to putting cocaine in it. I laughed so hard.

Chef Tess said...

Sarah, I would be very interested in the recipe for the buckwheat pancakes/waffles. I have a dear friend who can't eat very many grains who would probably die for it!! They sound AMAZING!! Thanks for the mental picture! I love your laugh! Did you spit a pecan?

Chef Tess said...

Honeyvillegrain.com Great resource for whole grains, shipped anwhere in the U.S. for just over4$ shipping...

Eliza and Fernando said...

These pancakes are freakin' awesome. My husband makes them for our family every week! We add pecans to the recipe. Thanks!

Eliza and Fernando said...

These pancakes are super awesome! My husband makes them for our family every week! We also add pecans to the recipe. Thanks!

Chef Tess said...

Eliza, thanks for the great comments! Pecans sound amazing in these. I'm totally trying that.

Anonymous said...

To the person who lives in Ohio... We have an awesome source of organic grains. It is called stutzman farms located in millersburg. They have sprouted grain flours, tons of ancient whole grain you can buy in bulk. And, they are certified organic thru oeffa. They are Amish, so you won't find them online. But, you can contact oeffa in Columbus for the address! They have an awesome store. Once you go there, you will definitely go back!

Thanneus said...

Epic! Thank you!
I made these with sprouted wheat, and buckwheat together. Flax seed egg, soy milk, and split the oil 50/50 between canola and olive. If you use sprouts, I reckon you only need half a cup of whatever milk you've chosen. The greenness of sprouts makes these ideally suited for a savoury pancake, too!