Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sprouted wheat bread day 3 in a food processor



Day Three
Sprouted bread in a food processor
Previous to this entry we have spent 2 days soaking and sprouting the wheat. For more information see :Sprouted Wheat bread tutorial
I learned this recipe from:
The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, 1984, by Laurel Robertson...
Laurel is my hero in whole grain bread baking!
I usually only do a single loaf recipe in the food processor:
6 cups sprouted wheat berries (if you started with 1 1/4 lb or 575 g hard wheat)
1 tsp active dry yeast (1/8 oz or 3.5 g)[You can use up to 2tsp per loaf]
2 T warm water (30 ml)
2 tsp salt (11g)
3 T,scant, honey (40ml)
1 8 by 4 inch loaf pan
1 clean towel
1 gallon size bag

Gather your ingredients.


Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water (no hotter than 110 degrees)

Put 3 cups of your sprouts in a food processor, add half of the yeast, salt and honey.

Process about 30 seconds.

Turn off machine and scrap unchopped grains off the sides of the processor.

Process until a dough ball forms and it cleans the side of the processor, about 3 minutes.


Put dough in a bowl, and repeat this process with your second 3 cups of sprouts and remaining ingredients.


Once all your dough is formed, roll into a ball and place in a covered bowl. Allowing it to raise for about 2 hours or until your wet finger comes out clean when inserted and leaves a hole without much effort. For best results, do not allow dough to raise so long that when you poke it, it collapse. It helps to measure the temperature of the dough. If it is between 85 and 90 degrees, it will raise in about 2 hours. If your dough is around 75 degrees it will be closer to 3 hours for this first raise.


This is how the dough will look...


Proceed to loaf formation (for full picture tutorial see: sprouted wheat bread with a meat grinder ):
Divide the dough into two pieces. I use a little WATER on my counter top.

Make a rectangle with the dough... then fold into thirds.

Roll the dough into a tight log...

Place in a loaf pan, this one is stoneware for better baking. This recipe will make 4 of these 5 by 2 1/2 inch loaves.

Repeat the loaf making until you have made as many loaves as you have dough. Lightly coat the top of the bread with oil and cover with a loose piece of plastic wrap. Raise bread about 1 hour (1 and 1/2 hours if the dough is less than 75 degrees).

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake 40-45 minutes for standard size loaves (8 by 4 inch), or 3o-35 minutes in smaller loaves like these ones.

Once baked, remove from oven.I test mine for doneness with a meat thermometer. When it registers over 175 degrees, the bread is cooked through.

The final step is to put the warm loaves in a clean dishcloth and place them in gallon size freezer bags. This allows any wheat that is on the surface of the loaf to steam a bit so it isn't rock hard. Remove from bags after about 45 minutes

The finished loaves will look like this:

14 comments:

ben said...

this is probably the single best illustration regarding how to make flourless bread ive ever seen. why there are not more instructions as sensible as yours i do not know. great work. very friendy and approachable and yet very informative.awesome. thanks.

Chef Tess said...

You are most welcome! Thank you for your kind words.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I've been wanting to make our own sprouted bread for a long time, but not until I came across your tutorial did I feel like I could actually do it. It came out great by the way, no more store bought sprouted bread for me. Thank you.

Chef Tess said...

Oh I love to hear when it comes out great! It makes my efforts feel so valid! Thank you Maggie for taking the time to not only try it, but come back and thank me. Hooray for you!

Avaylee said...

A friend of mine directed me here for my first attempt at my own sprouted loaf. I am so completely impressed. It took me two tries, but not for lack of wonderful instructions. Thank you for sharing this! This is my official go-to sandwich bread.

Chef Tess said...

Avaylee Wonderful! I love to hear that it is working for you! Keep it up. I'm so proud of you!

Unknown said...

WOW! Thanks for taking the time to share this. Now, my question is this: Do you know of a good gluten free sprouted bread?

Chef Tess said...

Gluten free sprouted bread is an area I need to pursue further. I wish I could be of more assistance in that area.

Unknown said...

I'm living in the jungles of Ecuador doing volunteer work. Love sprouted grain bread and miss my ezekiel bread. Obviously there are no Health Food stores here! So, I'm thinking I might be able to get wheat grains at the local market maybe. I actually saw a manual meat grinder too. Thinking I might be able to make this. Just not sure exactly what kind of wheat I need to buy? I'm so excited to try this. I hope it works! Only have a little metal bread pan. Will that work ok?

Unknown said...

I'm doing volunteer work in the jungles of ecuador and really miss my ezekiel bread. Thinking I might be able to make this. Have health issues so I can't eat normal bread. Thinking I can get wheat grains here, but not exactly sure what I'm looking for exactly when I go to the market....I think I've seen a manual meat grinder for sale too! I only have a metal bread pan. Is that ok? any advice on wheat grains that I need?

Chef Tess said...

When you go to the market look for hard wheat, it is the right protein content for the bread. Be sure to read through the trouble shooting section on sprouted wheat bread so you will know what the what looks like when it's ready to grind. I would also suggest that when you do find a meat grinder, you grind the grain through twice. This gives a fine enough grind to make the bread.Good luck. Let me know how things go!

From Holland said...

Your sprouted bread looks lovely!

What kind of food processor do you use?

Chef Tess said...

We used a Cuisinart food processor for this one. Great question. It needs to have a strong motor. I've tried with the cheaper models and end up burning out the engine in a month or two. It's worth getting a good model.

Sue O said...

My dough is out soaking up the late afternoon sunshine so that I can bake it tonight. Great instructions. I will probably do a blog post on it but I will link to your post, as I couldn't possibly improve on it.