Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Good Old Fashioned Oatmeal

Gourmet simple. This is it...

Oatmeal at it's finest, to me, has to have texture and still have it's shape. Hearty and satisfying. It's a basic skill to make oatmeal from scratch without one of those little pre-measured packets and a microwave.

This is a double boiler, just like the one my grandma used to use for making oatmeal.

I am almost embarrassed to blog about this, however I have very strong opinions about oatmeal. When I was growing up, my grand ma-ma used to make oatmeal in a double boiler cooked over low heat for a long time. It was really creamy, but not a texture I appreciated. I love my grandma. I don't think I can honestly say I ever enjoyed that oatmeal. It has taken me a long time to admit that. If she where alive I would never,never, never be able to post this because I think so highly of her. I would never in a billion ka-zillion years want to ever offend her. I learned to sew on her machine. I learned to appreciate home canning sitting at her table stuffing apricots from her tree into mason jars in her tiny kitchen. Her carrot pudding with lemon sauce was the most magical thing I ever ate. However...the oatmeal...sorry. I can't accept it. I have tried...
This is not how to make that creamy stuff. I won't be using the double boiler. I prefer a texture filled hearty bowl of separate rolled grains. I like them al dente. Not a glue like gelatinous mass of goo. Not a big fan of instant oatmeal while we are at it. Personally my favorite are the old fashioned rolled oats. Here is how I make them.
3 1/2 cups water

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats

pinch of salt


On medium high heat, boil the water in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan with the salt.

Add the oat all at once (ONLY if the water is at a rolling boil...and I mean rollin'). See the rolls like a double chin? That's the stuff.

Once the oats are poured in, stir for 2-3 minutes until cooked through. Turn off the heat.

It will carry over cook. Don't stir, just allow it to sit there about 5 minutes. This is perfect time to gather all the toppings for "build-your-own-oatmeal-bar". It's one of our staple breakfasts around here.

Scoop into bowls and serve hot with chopped fresh or dried fruit, honey, sugar, or maple syrup. We like ours with raisins, coconut, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and spice...chocolate chips. I know, again with the chocolate right?!
Serve on a crisp gingham table cloth with toppings...or whatever. Eat them right from the pan with a wooden spoon for all I care.


Enjoy.

8 comments:

Angela said...

Yummy! My husband and kids like the gelatinous goo, but I prefer mine the way you described it. I use 6 grain cereal as well--like the old fashioned oats but with wheat, barley, can't remember what else in it. Maybe I'll break some out tomorrow morning with some fancy toppings--I usually just use brown sugar . . . :)

Goob said...

Holy Carrot Pudding with Lemon Sauce!!!! Girl....I honestly did not think that anybody else on the planet even KNEW about Carrot pudding, let alone with lemon sauce. We truly ARE kindred spirits. I almost want to cry right now, now that is silly I realize, but you have no idea how important carrot pudding in lemon sauce is to my childhood.

Chef Tess said...

Lisa, that does my heart good! I can't remember ever knowing anyone else who knew what carrot pudding was either...and the lemon sauce. It's almost uncanny! I know now that I must blog the pudding huh? Oh I love it! Do you have a family recipe you use?

Oh and Angela, sooo good to hear someone else loves rolled multi grain! It's one of my favorites!!

J. P. said...

Not only do I have a family recipe, I have THE family recipe written in my grandmother's hand. It is one of my most prized posessions.--Lisa

Chef Tess said...

That is truly a treasure! I would love to compare the two and see how similar they are. We'll have to talk.

Sunshine115 said...

I also am a carrot pudding with sauce fan, just made some for Christmas! I could just eat all of it. It is my Husband's Grandmother's recipe and is amazing. Steamed for hours, and served warm.... be still my taste buds.

Sunshine115 said...

I also am a carrot pudding with sauce fan, just made some for Christmas! I could just eat all of it. It is my Husband's Grandmother's recipe and is amazing. Steamed for hours, and served warm.... be still my taste buds.

Michelle said...

Just made some this morning except used 6 grain. Mixed it with brown sugar, shredded coconut, rehydrated pineapple, topped with pecans and coconut milk over top! My 7 yr old who hates oatmeal said, "this is heavenly". Thanks again!