Thursday, March 26, 2009

Low Fat Carrot Cake Cookies




It's been a long time since I made cookies...like a week at least. So, I decided I needed to have a little treat. Despite the fact that I have been losing weight, there are times I just want a little something to keep me from going insane. Since I wanted carrot cake with gobs of cream cheese frosting, I settled for altering a recipe I had for carrot cake. Making it low fat, and pretty darn healthy didn't hurt at all.



Low fat Carrot Cake Cookies
2 tsp sugar free orange jello
1/4 cup olive oil (or melted butter)
1/2 cup warm water
Splenda (enough to replace 1 cups sugar)
1 cup whole grain cake flour (I used home ground wheat/barley combo)
2 tsp high grade cinnamon
1 tsp double strength vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup shredded carrot



Mix the gelatin with the warm water and stir until dissolved(this is a low fat cholesterol free egg replacement for baking). Combine all the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, soda and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well. Add the carrots. Scoop onto a lightly oiled sheet pan and bake 350 degrees 12-15 minutes. (yield 1 dozen) 2 Weight Watchers points each.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

These sound like wonderful morsels! Not only are they low fat but they are sugar free and fit right into my
diabetic lifestyle change. I will try these soon!
Thanks for sharing! May I share this with my support group?

Chef Tess said...

Please do share! I have a sister who is type 1 diabetic and I would do anything to help support that cause! Hooray!!

Elaine said...

You didn't mention the glaze pictured. Is it not the "healthy" kind?

Chef Tess said...

Not sugar free glaze. Yes. Great question.