Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Random Thoughts...simplify.


One I call Little Man...because he is growing into a strong, caring, wonderful man.

The other I call Face...for obvious reasons...

This is totally random thought #215...this week. I have a lot of these little bad boys...thoughts that is. This is Face. He's 6 years old and totally crazy. I don't know where he gets his dramatic streak. I just have to voice my humble opinion. If I had a humble one. I'll voice this one anyway.

Actually, I have to speak up on being a full time mom. Sometimes I get a little...static...on my choice to stay home and be with my kids. Not anything obsessive, but sometimes a little over the top.
In my defense, look at that Face. Could he be any happier on a bigger kitchen counter? I came to the realization that anyone could make the buffet for the upcoming parties at the resort. Anyone. It may not be pretty, but they could do it. It wasn't easy giving up the big house and moving to a small place to pay off debt so I could be home stress free. I don't see much extra green beyond the salad at the farmer's market. It's been tight. If I had it to do all over again and couldn't see the end...I'd still do it. I'm living the golden years right now. I'm on golden pond with my kids.

L. Tom Perry told this story about Henry David Thoreau who, for a period of years, escaped to a place called Walden Pond—that Walden Pond offered him so much hope for simplicity and provided such a renewing escape from his overly complex life.

Sometimes I feel like my little condo in a small town, is like that pond.

"It was in March of 1845 that Thoreau decided to move out on the banks of Walden Pond and spend two years trying to figure out what life was all about. He settled on a piece of property owned by his good friend Ralph Waldo Emerson. He purchased an old shanty from a railroad worker, and tore it down. From the lumber from the shanty and the lumber from the woods, he constructed his own cabin. He kept meticulous financial records, and he concluded that for a home and freedom he spent a mere $28.12. He planted a garden, where he sowed peas, potatoes, corn, beans, and turnips to help sustain his simple life. He planted two and a half acres of beans with the intent of using the small profit to cover his needs. Small profit indeed: $8.71.
Thoreau lived quite independent of time. He had neither a clock nor a calendar in his little cabin. He spent his time writing and studying the beauties and wonder of nature that surrounded him, including local plants, birds, and animals. He did not live the life of a hermit—he visited the town of Concord most days, and he invited others to come into his cabin for enlightening conversations. When the two years ended, he left his cabin behind without regret. He considered the time he had spent there a proper amount of time to accomplish his purpose—to experience the spiritual benefits of a simplified lifestyle. He also felt he had other life experiences ahead of him. It was time to move on and explore other opportunities."

There you go.

4 comments:

Jeri said...

beautifully said.

The Morrison's said...

Perfect timing...as I was going through Haylee being sick and I was totally scared, I asked myself, "What am I suppose to be learning from this?". What I came up with was to SLOW DOWN and not to sweat the small stuff, enjoy every moment with my kids, others are not as fortunate to be at home with theirs. Being the crazy type A person, I have to constantly stop and remind myself of this, and as I sit here and watch Haylee with her play goggles on and her shoes on the wrong feet playing with her little sister, I couldn't be more grateful. Your post was perfect. Thank You!!

Goob said...

no, a bigger counter would not make that boy any happier, it is a proven fact. If he were sleeping under a poplar tree, but had the love of his mother and enough food for his belly, he would be happy. Simple really IS best. Jp and I were reminded of that this week on several occassions.

Chef Tess said...

I love you guys! Thanks for backing me up. What is it that sometimes makes other people think they should try to convince me I need to be running a restaurant or doing something else right now? It's not a question of CAN I run a restaurant, it's a question of timing. I know for a fact, I will not want to look back on my life and say "wow, I wish I spent more time with the bagels". I will regret taking that much time away from my kids right NOW. Later, I will do the restaurant. ON the other hand, women who do have to work, I don't butt my head into their business and say they should be home. I'm all about respecting others and in doing so, respecting myself. Life is too short to judge anyone or feel self righteous based on things I know nothing about in their private lives (and vise versa). Let's just share the love with all. Right?!