Monday, March 16, 2009

Spiced Acorn Squash


One of my favorite ways to serve acorn squash doesn't require a lot of cooking experience or skill. It is spiced and so tasty it I almost feel guilty eating it...almost. Like pumpkin pie without the guilt. Spice mingled with a touch of sugar make this acorn squash not only tasty but satisfy a sweet tooth. It is possible to use a teaspoon or two of honey in place of the sugar. The squash is still fat free, and the small amount of added sweetener is just perfect. I've seen it made by also putting a couple of gobs of butter in the well of the squash. I love butter...and it shows. If anyone wants to add butter to their squash, go for it. I'm totally holding myself back this time.
So here's how it's done. I cut the acorn squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. My kids call it "scraping the brains out". Not sure squash has a brain.
Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and lightly dust with a touch of nutmeg. I have to ramble for a minute... Given my recent trip to Penzey's Spice Islands... this seemed like a perfect idea. One really must have good cinnamon. I can't live without it. The flavor is so much better than the cheap stuff, and at Penzey's it really isn't that much more expensive for the real stuff.
To cook:
Put the squash in a covered microwave safe dish and microwave on high 10-15 minutes (it takes 15 minutes for 2 cut in half or 4 halves). Sprinkle one packet of sugar in the raw on the cooked squash, and eat up. That's it. I told you it was easy!

Note: if you want to bake the acorn squash in the oven, it takes 35-40 minutes at 375 in a covered casserole. My grandma used to wrap them in aluminum foil, and that works as well.
There you go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job Tess. I love acorn squash and eat it all the time. Here's a variation you might like to try:

http://themerlinmenu.blogspot.com/2008/07/quick-acorn-squash-with-cranberry-sauce.html