Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall Apple Pie

I have to admit that Fall break AKA teacher appreciation week is in full swing down here in the Southwest. I love my kids, mind you...just really coming to full grip with the fact that teachers are angelic beings. They deserve more credit for what they do. My 6 year old son, Face wanted to bake a pie...every day for 5 days. It's been absolutely funny trying to convince him that most people don't bake pie every day unless they own a pie shop. I used to bake pie everyday...but now it takes a special kind of nag...I mean...convincing. So, here it is. One of my favorite ways to make apple pie. It has a funky crumble topping. I think you might like it.

My personal favorite apple is a Jonathan or Granny Smith for pie. Not really a fan of Red Delicious in a pie. They just get too smoooooshy. 5 crisp Jonathan apples, peeled, cored and sliced in wedges. I had face use this funky tool. I think he did a pretty good job, despite the fact that his arms are so tiny he had to use his girth...um all 52 lbs of it to press down on the apple. Argh! Go dude! I had him put them in a microwave safe bowl...


1 tsp. nice quality cinnamon goes a long way. My personal favorite also included a little ginger, nutmeg and orange zest. If however, you just have the regular cinnamon, it will do.


My little boy squeezed the lemon...juice. No comment. Need 2 T though.
If you can squeeze that much out...


2 T flour, 2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 cup honey. Combine until well coated. I put the bowl in the microwave for 5 minutes on high and stir well. This helps the apples to partially cook and reduces the baking time.


Once partially cooked, transfer into a 9 inch uncooked pie crust. I had one handy. If you make your own I love this recipe :Pie crust . For the topping I do something a little weird. It comes out like an apple crisp almost, but we love it so much I had to share it with all of you. Basically I take


1 cup baking mix or you can use Bisquick
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/8th tsp each: ground cardamom, nutmeg, and lemon zest

Combine until a crumble like topping and put on top of the luscious apple filling.
Bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes until golden.
Oh...it may drive the kids crazy waiting for the pie to finish baking.

He's such a special boy.



There you go.

1 comment:

Goob said...

who cares about "Most People"...I'm all for pie every day of the week! Of course, I'm kind of picky and only like two kinds...Hot and Cold.