Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bread of Life...Live in Thanksgiving Daily

Sunday morning is my time to share something on the Bread of Life. Enjoy.This week from Joseph B. Writhlin's “Live in Thanksgiving Daily” . It doesn't mean daily eating turkey and stuffing until your eyes bulge. It doesn't mean fighting over that last piece of Pecan Pie (okay...now that I can see). Joseph said, "Think for a moment, if you will, of someone you know who is truly happy. We’ve all met those who seem to radiate happiness. They seem to smile more than others; they laugh more than others—just being around them makes us happier as well.
Now think of someone you know who isn’t happy at all. Perhaps they seem 10 years older than they are, drained of energy—perhaps they are angry or bitter or depressed.
What is the difference between them? What are the characteristics that differentiate the happy from the miserable? Is there something that unhappy people can do to be happier? I believe there is...
We must let go of the negative emotions that bind our hearts and instead fill our souls with love, faith, and thanksgiving...
Anger, resentment, and bitterness stunt our spiritual growth. Would you bathe in impure water? Then why do we bathe our spirits with negative and bitter thoughts and feelings?
You can cleanse your heart. You don’t have to harbor thoughts and feelings that drag you down and destroy your spirit..."
Gordon B. Hinckley said: “My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we ‘accentuate the positive.’ I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort”.
I, Chef Tess, am most thankful for the joys that fill my life. They may last...but if not...I will be forever grateful for the chance I had to enjoy them at all. God bless all of you this Thanksgiving and always.
There you go.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

You are so right in what your saying. I just read in a book the other day that "When someone is ill or discouraged, the typical human response is to avoid him or her. If you aren't convinced of this, become ill or discouraged and then count your friends. You may need only one finger - for Jesus." I'm thankful for him who may have been my only friend at different times in my life!

Chef Tess said...

HoneyB...Amen! The Savior is and has been the true unfailing friend through many of my darkest hours as well. Thanks be to Jesus.