Saturday, December 26, 2009

Neive's Modeling Chocolate

I've had a lot of requests for some tips on modeling sculpted roses and flowers from chocolate. It's a pretty amazing technique. I promised I would post some of the basics this week, and alas on Tuesday, my day got frantic. So Saturday is here. I'll start by sharing the basic recipe for modeling chocolate that (believe it or not) I didn't come up with, but my mom did. She is food science wizard sometimes, thanks to a degree in Home Economics Education, and invaluable real life "hard knocks" training. I used to have to find this modeling chocolate at speciality gourmet bakery supply stores...and the price was incredible. This homemade stuff not only tastes better, but I've found it easier to work with. Keep in mind that the better the grade of the chocolate, the better results you will have. However...that being said, most any chocolate will do if you are just wanting to practice.

Neive's Modeling Chocolate

10 ounces chocolate, chopped(white chocolate is very pliable for flower working)
1/3 cup corn syrup

Place chocolate in a double boiler over a low heat and stir until melted, about 5 minutes. Add the corn syrup and stir until well combined. Pour mixture out onto a pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Allow to cool 24 hours at room temperature.


When it is cooled you will have the start of hand sculpting.

There you go.

2 comments:

Goob said...

what?! Are you kidding me? The recipe is THAT EASY?! I am joyfully flabbergasted, and cannot wait to give that a try!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks! I have been wanting to try Modeling chocolate.