Monday, March 1, 2010

Biscuit Zippers (3 Flavors to add Zip to your biscuits)

Let's be real. We can do that right? Sometimes life happens and I too get behind. Though blogging is my whole life and universe (as well is could be if I was completely insane). Y'all know I'm still human. I've had several mornings (it's getting to be a bad habit) that I sleep in later than I planned. Snooze button is the bane of my existence. I don't think anyone can relate to that. Am I right? One solution to still getting breakfast...emphasis on the "fast" has been setting aside a few minutes to make some biscuit mix. These bake in under 12 minutes and with a little effort on not-so-busy afternoons, I can prepare sandwiches for breakfast and freeze them. If the biscuits are tasty enough, I just bake and freeze them in their own freezer bag ready to heat in one minute in the microwave and head out the door. These are mixes I call Biscuit Zippers. Big thanks to my cousin String Cheese for coming over and helping me in this effort. http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/search/label/baking%20mix We made 7 bags of mix today.
Mix making and freezer cooking are basic survival instincts around these parts. I thought I'd share a few ideas for adding flavors to your biscuits. First up...
French Onion style biscuits.
Real French Onion would not use dry onion, I realize that...but this is a mix. It is dry. So, I call it "French Onion style" so nobody complains. Pish Posh.
1/4 cup of dehydrated onions that have been browned in a dry skillet and cooled, can be added to 2 cups of biscuit mix. Plus 1T dry buttermilk to the mix.
To bake:
Add 1/2 cup cold water to the mix, just until combined. Knead lightly about 5 turns. Lightly flour your counter top. Roll out the biscuit dough into 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 biscuits. Bake 425 degrees 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
When baked they give your breakfast sandwiches a wonderful flavor. What a simple addition.
We made several mixes at once. Also great mixed as topping for a home style casserole. One bag of mix makes a good topping for one 9 by 13 inch pan. Awesome on baked beans, chicken pot pie. Wonderful with cheese mixed in as well...about 1/2 cup sharp cheddar. If you use butter in your mix or cheese, you can freeze the mix until you are ready to use it.
You can also do what we do. Bake the biscuits. Cook little patties of turkey sausage and put them inside the biscuit. Wrap this tasty nibble in individual plastic and place in a freezer bag. It takes less than 2$ worth of ingredients to make six of these sandwiches.

Orange Brandy Biscuits:
2 cups baking mix, 1/3 cup sugar (we use xylitol), 2 tsp dry orange zest, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp LorAnn Orange Brandy flavored oil.
To bake:
Combine mix with 1/2 cup butter milk until just moistened. Roll out on a lightly floured counter top until 1/2 inch thick. Cut into biscuits. Top each biscuit with one maraschino cherry. Poke it well. Yield 8. Bake 425 degrees 10-12 minutes.


Tahitian Vanilla and Banana Biscuits:
2 cups mix, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp LorAnn Tahitian Vanilla oil. 2 T buttermilk powder. Mix well.
To bake:
Mash one ripe banana. Add 1/4 cup cold water and the contents of your baking mix. Stir until combined. Roll out onto a lightly floured counter top, about 1/2 inch thick. Yield 8. Bake 425 degrees 10-12 minutes. Serve warm with butter drizzled on top.

There you go. Three quick different flavors for breakfast. What's not to love about that?

2 comments:

Jana said...

I wish I had a cousin as cool as the one String Cheese has I bet s/he gets spoiled rotten.

Erica Miles said...

Ooooh, I'm the first comment :) I love the idea of freezing biscuits and breakfast sandwiches. I'll have to give this a go. The only problem with freezing a lot of meals at our house is we might need a third freezer. :)