Thursday, March 11, 2010

Butterscotch Blondies with Chocolate Chips and Walnuts




Cussing Granny's lunch went very well, and we had a scathingly brilliant time with her dear old friends from that small town in Colorado where Granny grew up. It was just sweet. So, to end the event we served some butterscotch Blondies. I'm hopeless when they are in the house, and therefore reserve them for very special occasions when I will not be forced to look at the pan of goodies calling me relentlessly. My mother used to make these on Sunday nights at the end of a busy week and I remember them with great fondness.

Did anyone ever read Nancy Drew? She always gives away Blondies. Here is my recipe. Hope it gets you lots of secret files and mystery information... though you may find people's mouths are so full of bars that they can't answer any questions right up front.

Chef Tess' Butterscotch Blondies

1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp brandy extract
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1 cup milk chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 13 inch cake pan. Mix all the ingredients , combine well. Spread in the pan and bake 25-30 minutes-- or until they look dry on top and almost firm to the touch. Let cool 10-15 minutes and cut into small squares. yield 36 blondies...
There you go.

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess



8 comments:

TARA said...

My mouth is actually watering!

Erica Miles said...

You take such good pictures of such good victuals. I may have to eat some ice cream now since I'm not going to bake these yummies until I have enough nuts.

Goob said...

oh I LOVE a good blondie, but never think to make them! Yours look absolutely scrumptious. I do believe all I need is a glass of milk and one of those and all the mysteries of the world will cease to matter.

laura said...

I love blondies!!! They are my favorite thing that my mom used to make. I have a serious issue with walnuts though. . . I would use pecans. I always hate the bitter feeling I get in my mouth after walnuts... hum am I allergic to walnuts?

Shae Ko said...

Okay, we tried this recipe for our Sunday night treat and it was yummy. I didn't have the brandy extract like I thought I did, so I gave it a double shot of real vanilla. I also forgot to set my timer so it was a little undercooked, but hey some restaurants sell it like that, and the toasted walnuts gave it a delicious layer of flavor.

Chef Tess said...

Smooches for that!! Thanks for the wonderful feedback! It always makes me smile!!

Shae Ko said...

This is my third time making these blondies and I'm finally using all of the correct ingredients. I did begin to tamper though, by including half of my chips as butterscotch chips -- I mean the word is actually in the recipe name and I do love them. Yay, so I took the pan to a Primary Meeting and people hung around forever afterwards eating and talking together. Coincidence? I think not.

emmers said...

oh my yummers! The cafe at my husband's work sells these for $1.75 a piece (and that's with his employee discount) - I think I finally found a recipe that rivals their recipe :)! THanks so much!