Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chocolate and Marzipan Rose Sculpting class

My final cooking class this week was Wednesday night teaching sculpted rose basics to several very seasoned bakers. I will be forever grateful to my mother for coming up with an amazing formula for modeling chocolate that doesn't taste like a tootsie roll. So it's beautiful and tastes deeply smooth and rich. Also, big giant hugs and thanks to my mom for making the 16 lbs of modeling chocolate we used for the class. I know she lost some sleep helping to make the class possible, and I will be forever grateful. I was teaching a jam class and she knew I would be up late as it was. Not only does her modeling chocolate taste wonderful...it makes some awesome roses!



Marzipan is also a wonderful medium for making roses. Gygi's has it in 7 lb boxes in their store. They also have this edible luster dust and glitter that transform regular sculpting into this elegant looking beauty.

I'm happy to report that all thirteen class members where able to produce some gorgeous flowers. Hopefully they can add them to their menu for cake customers all across the Wasatch Front. If any of them care to speak up and leave a comment, then those in the great state of Utah will know where to go.
In the future, I will be returning to Gygi's for more cooking classes. Thank you to the wonderful staff for making me feel loved and appreciated.

That's all I have to say about that.

6 comments:

Kim G. said...

I wish I would have known sooner about your classes in Utah, I would have loved to come!

Chef Tess said...

The good news is that I will be able to come back anytime to do a class. If there is something you want to learn, let me know and I can see what we can do about putting another class together for Gygi's. They said I can come up anytime.

The Borders said...

This is just beautiful, but way out of my skill level. I've really missed the Freezer Fridays too! Do you do classes in MS?

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

That kitchen looks AWESOME fun!

Chef Tess said...

Nicole, I've missed freezer Fridays too! Being out of town has thrown me off a bit, but I will be back full swing by next Friday. Thanks for letting me know you miss it...somehow that motivated me to get back on track. God bless. I don't go out of town much for classes...SLC just happens to be my hometown so I go often to see family. Best wishes.

Unknown said...

hello tess your work is very good you might like to check out some of my models done in icing sugar and marzipan,my photos are on facebook search john cresswell and click on the pastry chefs made in icing sugar, god bless you