Friday, September 24, 2010

Slow Cooked BBQ Beef sandwiches with Creamy Corn Relish

Welcome to Freezer Friday! For those just joining my grand adventures in the kitchen, let me tell you that we have a freezer meal most every Friday around here. It keeps me thinking out side the box...and saves us all a lot of money. We control the ingredients. Today isn't any different. Is there anything more classic American than a good ol' Western style BBQ beef sandwich? I dare say that I even type "cow-poke" style while speaking of one of these beauties. Did anyone see that crazy movie called "West World'? Ace is a stinker for liking old random 1970's sci-fi movies...and dragging me along for the strange adventures. These stiff legged robot gun-slingers are chasing some innocent tourists all over town and shootin' up the joint. It's very gripping...Needless to say, half way through that movie I decided I needed to do other stuff...like bake. I think of that movie every time I cook this dish, though it really has nothing at all to do with that cyber-freak-fest. Ironic that I'm typing this on my cyber-blog isn't it? No comments from the peanut gallery about a cyber-freak-fest right here on my blog. I'm not having random robot eye balls pop out of my skull or anything horrid. I'm making dinner. That shouldn't be horrid. It should be magical. Like swans on a crystal lake. Why oh why would I think of cyber freaks? Rant is now complete.

At any rate, I have found this to be one of those amazing dinners that goes really far around here. We use the shredded meat for not only sandwiches, but also for pot pies and fulling for homemade hot pockets-style sandwiches.

You will need:
3 lbs chuck roast beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup ketchup (I use Homemade Ketchup)
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 tsp liquid smoke
2T Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning
1 onion, chopped
1 cup homemade Sweet and Hot Corn Relish (or store purchased I like Aunt Nellie's corn relish)

At service you will need :
8 fresh hamburger or Kaiser buns

1 cup homemade Sweet and Hot Corn Relish
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2T fresh chopped parsley

Directions:
In a 2 quart crock pot or solar oven pan, combine the beef, ketchup, mustard, liquid smoke, Chef Tess seasoning, onion and 1 cup corn relish. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours. Solar bake 4-5 hours full sun.

Shred the meat with a fork.
For a freezer meal, remove meat from crock or solar oven, and divide between two 4 cup containers. Chill in the fridge uncovered for at least 2 hours. Seal containers and transfer to the freezer with reheating instructions.
Defrost overnight in the fridge or in a microwave safe container on half power for 10-14 minutes. Heat for 5-7 minutes on the stove or in the microwave until very hot.
To serve: Combine the corn relish with the mayonnaise and the parsley. Spoon 1/2 cup of beef mixture onto a fresh burger bun and top with two heaping tablespoons of the relish.

I serve it with the homemade Peach Bread and Butter Pickles and carrot nibbles.

There you go. Slow cooked BBQ beef. One more cyber-recipe to add to your collection from Chef Tess' "West World". Enjoy.

4 comments:

Serene said...

Oh, my, that looks SO good!

Heather Hunt said...

Hey! My hubby LOVES LOVES LOVES B-movies from the 70's too! The 'exploitation' films, the zombie films, the chase films, he is a happy camper!

Anonymous said...

So, we can't make this without purchasing your all purpose seasoning?

Chef Tess said...

If you don't have my all purpose seasoning, you can use grill seasoning or steak seasoning. Those work really well.