Monday, November 29, 2010

Swiss Tess Hot Cocoa Mix (and Hot Cocoa Buttermilk Mix)

Well, it has come to my sweet adorable attention that my pet name Chef Tess is almost as known s my nickname " Sunshine." I hate to report that it wasn't a cute boyfriend who gave me the name. Sadly it started by my 11th grade College Prep Chemistry teacher as a reference to the fact that my sister and I were in the same class with him. I think "Sunshine twins" was his actual reference to us. Well...be that as it may. Thank you Dr. Call for dubbing the twin sisters as "Sunshine". We aren't twins. We're fourteen months apart in age. My sister Em is well, in every way just as perky as I am. It's sad. Auntie Em just happens to be smart enough to have been in my class as at the time. My youngest sister Jen wasn't yet in high school. So there it is. Long way of saying that I don't actually use coffee to get my perky disposition. I do however have a personalized mug. It's for...
Cocoa.

Today is, as always, Mix making Monday I thought I'd finally share my recipe for hot cocoa mix. There's been quite a few requests for it now that the weather is right. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Besides...What are you doing buying hot cocoa mix when you can make it natural and cheap? You can change up the flavors. Use whatever sweetener you prefer. It's just an awesome way to stretch your dollars. I've made it using dry buttermilk in place of the regular instant milk and it was awesome! Perky yet satisfying. My personal favorite is using dry buttermilk instead of milk! It has such a unique flavor and really accentuates the flavor of the chocolate. I'm totally addicted!

Swiss-Tess Hot Chocolate (Hot Cocoa Buttermilk Mix Too)

1 − 16 oz. box of non fat dry milk (about 4 cups instant milk--dry buttermilk works too!)
1 Cup Sugar or 1/2 cup granulated fructose or splenda if you use it.
3/4 Cup dutch baking cocoa (good quality)
1 vanilla bean, cut in half and seeds mixed into this blend. 0r 1 tsp LorAnn flavored oil (buttercream or vanilla )
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg (optional)

Sift all ingredients together three times. Store this mixture in a tightly sealed container in a cool place. When ready to use, you add 1/4 cup mix to 1 cup hot water.

Sprinkle miniature marshmallows on top.
There you go. Make some cocoa!

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Thanks Tess I had a mix that I was using but I didn't love it. I am going to try this one. Now I just have to figure out one that is Lactose free.

Chef Tess said...

Rachelle, you can use instant soy milk powder in place of the milk powder. Very good choice in this case.

Shellee said...

My dear, you have seen my waistline expand over the years (not counting pregnancies) and I'm thinking that you have just saved me a dress size. After all, when it's under 60 degrees, who doesn't dream of a big 'ole cup of Cocoa?
*SMOOCHES*

Rachelle said...

Cool I didn't even know they had instant soy milk powder. Where do I find that at.

Chef Tess said...

Soymilk powder here: http://stores.homestead.com/EmergencySupplyFoodSt/-strse-80/Soy-Milk/Detail.bok

jdm6of18 said...

Excellent! Served wit home dehydrated mini marshmallows. ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿงก