Monday, December 6, 2010

Three Extra Moist Buttermilk Holiday Cookie Mixes

Cookie dough is the devil. I've decided. Having cookie mix may be just as evil. So, I've found a solution...giving the cookie mix away. I'm not baking ten sheets of cookies for neighbors and friends that will most likely end up in my mouth. No way! I got smart a few years back and making mixes saved us a lot of money at Christmas. As every dollar counts this time of year, this will be my gift to you. The recipes. I trust that most of my readers have skill enough to make this work. So Welcome! Take them. Don't send me any. My job is to bless you with goodies. Speaking of blessing people with goodies...have you entered My Bread or Cinnamon Roll Free Class Giveaway! ? Pop on over and sign up. I'm giving away a cooking class (150$ value) to one lucky person in the Phoenix area and 1 bottle of my Wise Woman of the East spice blend to two of my "out of town" readers. Sign up on this link Here.



Now to the cookie dough! Welcome once again to mix making Monday! I'm excited to share some awesome cookie mixes that we have been working on here at the Petersen house. It's really quite cruel how I've shamelessly been flaunting cookies all over the house for a week on end. Dangerous for my jeans too. I've been changing a few of the ingredients in my Holiday Cookie Mixes to add to the texture and moisture of the finished cookies. I had such great feedback last year at this time when I introduced the original Holiday Cookie Mix recipes that I knew we needed more. More improved is good right? So, let me tell y'all that the the genius ingredient is the addition of pudding in the mix. Wow does it ever make a difference on the moisture of the cookie. The other genius ingredient is the use of buttermilk powder. It's not pronounced, but a very subtle amazing change. What I've ended up with is a cookie mix that Ace begs me to make. He's not a sweets-eatin' kind of guy either...so this is huge.

Chef Tess' Extra Moist Buttermilk Cookie Mix


9 cups all purpose flour (whole wheat works, but be sure it is soft wheat or pastry flour)
1 1/2 cup buttermilk powder (instant milk is okay too)
1 1/2 cup Homemade Instant Pudding Mix or you can use Honeyville Vanilla Pudding
3T baking soda
1 T salt
2T vanilla or LorAnn Princess emulsion
2 cups butter or shortening (I use Spectrum Organic)
3 cups sugar (you can use spenda spoon able instead)

Softened butter in a very large bowl, electric mixers are amazing for making mixes, I highly recommend using one. Add the sugar and vanilla (I also love brandy, rum, nut flavors...)and cream well. In a separate large bowl combine the dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. If done correctly it will look like a course cornmeal.


This mix will make 20 cups of cookie mix. I use 2 cups of mix per gourmet mix. Most often I will put 2 cup portions in storage size zip bags. This mix will make 10 bags of plain sugar cookie mix.

 
The baking directions for basic Buttermilk Sugar Cookies:
In a large bowl, combine the cookie mix, 2 egg and 1/4 cup oil. Drop by rounded Tablespoon onto cookie sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake 375 degrees 10-12 minutes. You may sprinkle with sugar or funky cool nubby things. You know...have fun. Also, if you would prefer to do a roll out sugar cookie from the mix, use only 1 egg 1/4 cup oil or melted butter and chill the dough 30 minutes before rolling out 1/4 inch on lightly floured counter top. Bake 375 degrees 10-12 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies



One of Ace's worst weaknesses on earth...macadamia nut and white chocolate chip cookies. Slightly undercooked so they're still gooey and he'll sell his immortal soul for a nibble. Really.
Adding a little lime zest to the mix and some coconut...and he was in hog-man heaven.



White Chocolate Macadamia nut Coconut-Lime Verbena cookie Mix


2 cups buttermilk cookie mix

1/2 cup macadamia nuts

1 cup white chocolate chips

1/2 cup coconut flakes

2 tsp lime zest (fine grated, dehydrated 24 hours in a dry room)


Combine the zest with the cookie mix. Put in the bottom of a quart seal able mason jar. Top with macadamia nuts, chocolate and coconut layers. Seal tightly.

To bake: Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine cookie mix with 1/4 cup melted butter and 2 egg until well combined. Place one inch balls of dough on cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes.


Time for the peanut butter Toffee Crunch Cookies to get an update.



For Peanut Butter Toffee Crunch Cookie Mix:
2 cups basic Buttermilk cookie mix
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup Heath bar toffee bits


Combine well. Put in a quart size storage bag.


Baking directions:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium size bowl combine 2 cups of the peanut butter cookie mix with 2 egg and 1/4 cup melted butter. Mix until well combined. Drop by Tablespoon on ungreased cookie sheets, 1 inch apart. Yield 1 dozen cookies Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown.




One of my favorite holiday cookies is the dark chocolate orange oatmeal cookies.


Dark Chocolate Orange Oatmeal Cookie Mix:
In quart size bag:
2 cups buttermilk cookie mix
1 cup rolled oats (or rolled 7 grain cereal)
1 cup chocolate chips (60% cocoa or higher)
2 tsp dry orange zest

Put 2 cups of the cookie mix on the bottom of a quart size mason jar. Add a layer of oats. A layer of chocolate chips and the orange zest. Seal tightly.


To bake:
Combine cookie mix with 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup melted butter and 1 egg. Drop by rounded Tablespoon on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees 10-12 minutes

There you go. Happy Holidays to you!

7 comments:

aswesow said...

When do you use baking soda vs baking powder? I love cookies, my kids keep me stocked. Alot of the recipies they come up with have WAY too much soda. What is the proper proportion of baking soda or baking powder to dry ingredients?

Dori said...

Oh...I knew I could count on you for new cookie mixes!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) And I solemnly swear that the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Coconut-Lime cookie Mix will be given out as gifts. Really.

Mama Peck said...

Just so you know, you are not helping my diet! LOL I LOVE the idea of this mix but it is definitely going to have to go on my 'give away' list. I have zero self control when it comes to cookies! Thanks again for another winner.

Chef Tess said...

Dori...Ace ate a full batch by himself of the white chocolate ones...and had me crack open another jar and make more. It wasn't pretty...but it was fun. Mama Peck...you are a kindred spirit. I have to lock myself in my room when cookies are in the house. It's so dang sad.

Chef Tess said...

Aswesow...I use baking powder here just in case someone makes the dough and then puts it in the fridge. It will still leaven a few days later. Baking soda on immediate bakings. Proportions will depend on how fluffy you want the cookies. These are less cake like. But I usually plan 1 tsp per cup of flour for cookies. Baking soda about 3/4 tsp.

mlebagley said...

1 1/2 ? buttermilk powder. Is that cups, Tablespoons? I think its probably cups for how much mix this yummy recipe makes but wanted to check in with the pro (you) before I make this.

mlebagley said...

And if I use powdered butter instead of the actual butter in this recipe how much? and does that change the directions for how to make it? Kindly advise.
Thanks!