Sunday, February 20, 2011

Digging Deep (Bread of Life Section)

Early January, my garden finally saw a killer frost that completely knocked out the sweet potato patch. I thought for sure that there wasn't any hope for any potatoes to be in the ground, and the few spots I checked came up fruitless. Since that time I let the grass grow a bit into the patch and a lot of weeds covered what was left of my once beautiful spot of earth. This weekend my father, the Master Gardener, was here with my mother to witness the baptism of my son Face. He turned eight this week and that's when children are baptized in our faith. My dad is also a High Priest, so he would be here to confirm my son.
So, when the master went to my potato patch with my kiddos to check out where we would be putting the new seed potatoes...I was astonished to see the unearthing of a lot of sweet potatoes. Life I never knew even existed lay buried in my garden.
They used great effort to uncover all the roots. A sudden realization washed over me.
Is it possible to restore a life that through reckless abandon has become so covered with dirt that it appears that the person is lost forever? Boyd K. Packer taught: “There is no habit, no addiction, no rebellion, no transgression, no apostasy, no crime exempted from the promise of complete forgiveness. That is the promise of the atonement of Christ.” This is something I truly believe. After all, God is a God of not only complete Justice, but also complete Mercy.

There is a way for that which is lost to be found. I saw it with the sweet potatoes. If I had not seen it myself, I doubt I would believe it.

Referring to the Atonement of Jesus Christ, the prophet Alma taught the people in Gideon:

“And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

“And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

“Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me” Alma 7:11–13

I'm thankful most of all today for that renewed faith that I received in the presence of my father, the Master Gardener. Once again, I marvel that the Lord sent me to be the daughter of such a man. The baptism of Face was beautiful and perfect. The Spirit of God was strongly felt...enough that many eyes were misting up when Ace took his little son by the hand and buried him in the water. At that moment, I felt more joy than I have in a very long time. Smiling and dripping wet he turned to Ace and hugged him. Yes...it was perfect. As my own tender father placed his hands on Face's head to confirm him and give him the gift of the Holy Ghost, my heart felt total peace. There are days and moments that one waits for and dreams of all their life that are mingled into the fabric of ordinary time. This was one of those moments.

There you go. May God dig deep into your life as well.

2 comments:

Jana said...

The doctrine of Redemption was strongly impressed on me as I watched the preperation and the baptism. I am blessed to be part of an eternal family, and I cherished time with each member this weekend. Thank you.

aswesow said...

A touch of frost probably made the sweet potatoes sweeter.