Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Simplicity is...

The Ultimate Sophistication."--Leonardo da Vinci . 
Sunday is the Day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.


I caught myself. I did. I said, "I bought those for something special!" as my son reached his hands into the gorgeous package of blueberries I had just purchased at the grocery store. I have this "project" coming up and I needed to come up with an amazing dessert.   To my everlasting shame, he looked at me like I had slapped him in the face. As if, he wasn't special enough to get to eat the blueberries of joy.  I wanted to crawl under a rock. However, to my credit, we decided that they did need to be used for, and with someone special instead of a lame old tart or cake. One tenth went toward the actual baking project. The rest went to this worthy cause.

 I found a recipe that was simple yet elegant.  So the lemon sponge pudding cake was laced with blueberries...and sprinkled with rose infused powdered sugar. Simple.


Do you know what?  It is perhaps the best dessert I have ever made.  Here I was thinking I had to come up with this remarkable and complex thing...when there, right in front of me, was a magic beyond description. I almost missed it.  Dieter F. Uchtdorf once said"There is a beauty and clarity that comes from simplicity that we sometimes do not appreciate in our thirst for intricate solutions." So how do we keep a virtue, no matter how worthy, from getting to be an "extreme". How do we keep that virtue a virtue instead of a vice?  I think it became clear today. It was a focus issue. When I focus on the things that matter most, then there is clarity. Period.  It will always be that one eternal truth...focus determines reality.  Amid the rush of life, the many bids for attention, it was like the Lord looking me in the face and saying,  Stephanie...listen to my invitation in Psalms: “Be still, and know that I am God.”--Be simple and take the time to make sure the ones who matter most in your life KNOW they matter most. 


There it is.

1 comment:

JustaSweetee said...

Well said my friend, well said.