Wednesday, January 11, 2012

11 grain Orange Hazelnut Rolls with Tangerine Honey Glaze


It's time to get serious. I'm not really ready to give up good food to eat healthy. Who ever said that healthy food needed to taste like a tree  branch wrapped in sap? I'm not sure, but these rolls are not evil-bad...they are evil-good. Low fat, 11 whole grain goodness, toasted hazelnuts and the sweet luscious hint of orange infused olive oil nestled between the soft bread. No refined sugar. Bring it.


My son asked me, "Are these healthy?" I'm personally of the opinion that if I just sneak nutritious food into my kids, it gives them a false sense of what good food actually is. Suddenly they're in college and eating a bunch of crazy stuff...like a cinnamon rolls or brownies not baked by me. No comment on college brownies. I know what they put in those bad-boys.  How will they choose? Here's the deal-i-o. I want them to know they are eating right. I want them to know what a good food choice is. They won't always have a mom who is also a professional chef to cook for them. How does a parent empower a child to eat right if the kid doesn't have a clear idea of what eating right is?! For the same reason I teach them not to lie, I should teach them not to deep fry. Right? Have I been perfect at this? No. I'm a little bit husky myself. However, if I can unlearn bad habits, so can my kids. They have an advantage...mom is a chef.  You have an advantage reading my blog. I'm full disclosure girl. I share it with you. This is a big deal to me. I want to be part of a meaningful change in our nation's food habits. It's time to get back to how my grandma ate. Am I right? No comments on the jello salad. None.

 I took half of the dough from the 11 Grain Molasses Bread recipe and rolled it out into a 24 inch by 18 inch rectangle on a lightly floured counter top. It was gorgeous with all the beautiful grain!
 Drizzle the dough with 1/4 cup Crushed Mandarin Orange Certified Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This gives a remarkable depth to the orange flavor when you use infused oil. I'm a huge fan. 
 Zest of one orange. You can use a microplane zester. I usually do, but today I was really wanting the beautiful zest in elegant little strips. If you prefer smaller zest...use the micro zester. 
 Combine the zest with 1/2 cup natural sweetener. I use Xylitol or another sweetener called granular erythritol for sugar free natural options. 
Sprinkle the orange mixture over the honey and olive oil spread. Top with one cup chopped toasted Hazelnuts. Mmmm. Hazelnuts. 
 Roll tightly and pinch together at the seams. Cut into 24 little circular swirls of happiness.  Do you see the grain? Oh.My.Stars!
 I place the rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet and allow to raise 1 1/2 hours (or until doubled in size). Arizona is usually warm enough that I don't have to wait the full hour and a half. January is the only exception. I had to wait. If you put the rolls overlapping in cake pan or round casserole they grow together. Unlike putting kids together in the same room. That's just messy...and they fight over who gets to wear the red sweater and who has to pick up the papers off the floor...and who...Dang it. I slipped into total freakish mom right there. Sorry.

Bake them in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. When they are warm, do something evil.  Drizzle with any flavored honey of your choice. I'm always partial to maple hazelnut honey or tangerine. 



There you go. One awesome and amazing new breakfast and snack to add to your healthy lifestyle. You know I love you right? Of course. Share the love! Now you make some! Xoxo!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess


2 comments:

Sassy said...

Now I also need to find that kind of oil and get me a zester that makes long pretty zesties and buy hazelnuts.......and can I say I have long loved the exclamztion of OH MY STARS!!!! hahaha Another GREAT recipe.....I have got to get out more....I mean out of my same o same o recipe....I seem to ONLY know how to roll one way and they are covered in caramel!!!! haha

Chef Tess said...

Oh but those Fat-n-Sassy buns are amazing!! I'm a fan!! Big hugs! OH my STARS!!!