Monday, January 9, 2012

Dallas Style Chicken Noodle Soup In A Jar (52 Method Continues)

 It's Food Storage Meal Monday. It doesn't happen every week, but sometimes I actually have my fabulous act together enough to be sure we share some things to do for and with your storage. Given the immense and overwhelming response I've had to the 
 (Yes the book is coming together!) I've decided to add some more here to wet your whistle. Now, that being said...this isn't a gourmet recipe. It's a winter recipe even though it was 80 degrees outside today and I could walk around bare foot and short sleeved. I do realize most of the country doesn't have that luxury right now. You all will not be so jealous of our weather in July.

This meal was a request from a friend named Dallas. It has nothing to do with anything actually in Dallas, Texas. Sorry Texas.  As for Dallas, she loves chicken noodle soup but, "without all the vegetables and big herbs and crap in there." (As she put it.). I love her. A great reminder that though I may be creating some remarkable gourmet jar meals that span international cuisine...there's also a need for some simple basic meals that every family in the good ol' United States of America will eat. Most of the ones I've posted so far, are just that. They are  simple and basic foods that most families I know will enjoy every night of the week. The other rule, they have to be simple enough to just add water and cook. If by some far stretch I had to use these camping or in an emergency situation after an earthquake or something...I'd want it to be that simple to prepare the food. Heaven forbid that next Tuesday I want my 12 year old to open a jar and make dinner. I can't make it so hard that he can't do it. See how I roll? It's like regular food. 
This is a case in point. The basic almost name-brand chicken noodle soup is immensely popular. It's just the broth, noodles and chicken. What's the deal?! For about the same cost as one of their cans, I can make a half gallon of this stuff. Plus, I can control the sodium and other ingredients. So. Here it is. Just for Dallas, and people like her...it's a regular chicken noodle soup. This one uses a PINT jar and yields 6 cups of soup. If you want a quart size jar, double the recipe. For details on the method of packing for long term storage, look here.   I love that I can make it with real meat and have it be shelf stable 5-7 years. That's awesome! Freeze dried meat is the secret for that. No, you don't need any other special equipment.  You will  need  oxygen absorbers if you use the real freeze dried  meat (or you can use a vacuum jar attachment on the  food saver if you have one). Any long term storage will require those. 

Chef Tess' Dallas Style Chicken Noodle Soup in a Jar

In a Pint Size jar combine:
1/2 cup (.75 oz) Freeze Dried Chicken 
1 1/2 cup broken  linguine or fettuccine noodles (I go by weight 3.5 oz)
1T  plus 1 tsp Chicken Bullion  (I   prefer the no MSG vegetable based version {quality counts on the bullion} ) 
1 tsp garlic granules or powder
1/4 tsp dry thyme
1/4 tsp Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning Blend
1/8 tsp turmeric (for color and flavor)

Top the jar one  oxygen absorber  and seal jar tightly.

To prepare: 
Combine contents of the jar with 5 cups boiling water. Simmer 12-15 minutes until noodles and chicken are tender. Serve hot.    
 For the record, all the folks at my house eat this with much gusto. I guess we're pretty regular people as well. If I really want to take it to the next level, I use some Herbs de Provence in with the mix...about 1/2 tsp. What a difference some good herbs make. However, don't feel like you have to get all chef-tastic like that.  I think the word we use is "Tessalicious".  You know, it's a cross between Tess and delicious. If your family likes regular plain old awesome soup, then you'll be happy with this .

There you go. Make Chicken Noodle Soup. Babe it's cold outside (somewhere). 


Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess


6 comments:

Deerie said...

YUMMERS!! I am definitely going to be making this. I don't believe I have the FD chicken, but do have some TVP..
and I'm out of O2 absorbers. :(
and am out of the bouillon granules and only have those pesky cubes...
But as soon as I restock on these goodies, I'm making some instant soups! I may go ahead and make some without the 02 absorbers for short term storage.

jenn-o said...

This is awesome!!! I love how willing you are to share all your recipes...it's so nice!

Two questions:

Can I use any type of dried noodle for this? I love egg noodles (the Amish-style that comes in the plastic twist-tied bag).

Also, are there any types of bouillon you'd recommend, or stay away from? I've noticed that some of the containers I've bought in the past (the type that come in plastic, screw-top jars) have a texture that's very cakey, almost like a very dry paste and I didn't know if those type have too much moisture in them to store on a shelf. Sorry...I'm a noob!

Thanks again...can't wait to make this!

Chef Tess said...

Jenni I love the egg noodles in this. I know exactly what you're talking about. Yes they will work fine. Honestly the main concern is how fast they cook. Be sure to match the meat to the noodles. The thicker ones will be just about right with the freeze dried chicken linked in the post. I linked to my favorite bullion it must be a powder, not a liquid. The one I use is lower sodium and full of awesome flavor. No MSG. Since it's the main flavor in this noodle soup, that would be the one I'd use. The cheap stuff will work in a pinch...but it will taste like cheaper stuff. Just saying.

jenn-o said...

Thank you!

lol...maybe I should have opened my eyes so I would have seen the GIANT MAROON link you posted for the bouillon :-p

Anyway...I live in such a great neighborhood but rarely see anyone once the cold weather here in Ohio settles in (during the summer everyone is out walking around with kids or just out enjoying the weather). I'm thinking I can throw a few of these jars together as a "hey neighbor" gift so some of us girls on our street can hang out for a minute and hopefully give them something that will serve as a last minute dinner idea :-)

Chef Tess said...

In December, I sent one of my readers a sample of the Dallas Chicken Noodle soup. I just received a nice review from her that said, "Thank you Chef Tess for the wonderful gifts...my husband and I were very impressed with the Dallas Chicken Soup in a jar! It was very good and basic...it invites you to experiment and add other dried vegetables, seasonings and even a poached egg as my husband suggested. We will definitely be adding this soup to the food-in-a-jar list to make.


*You can use this review if you like...and please receive a very warm hug from me to you!

Many more blessings,

Jenny A. "

Thank you my dear!!

Anonymous said...

Tess,
WOW! Thank you!

Dallas