Saturday, February 4, 2012

Broiled Coconut Pecan Frosting...is Evil.

Are you ready for something evil? Well. This is Evil Think Tank (ETT) worthy. I made it with my kids today but usually I make it for cooking classes and glorious events of flavor and food. I dare say, it's one of the most beautiful-bad-good things I make. Have you ever had a broiled coconut pecan frosting? This is perhaps one of the most tantalizing simple frostings out there. It's a buttery caramel with a hint of rum and heavy with toasted pecans and shredded coconut. When it's put on a cake and then slid under a broiler, the most amazing thing happens. The top layer of the frosting gets toasted and caramelized in a thin layer of candy-like crunch. The creamy layer below is warmed and gooey and oozes in sweet divine rivers of joy over the edges of your cake. It's really one of my absolute favorite dessert toppings.  Use fat flake coconut or macaroon coconut depending on your taste. Today I went with macaroon. If you don't like coconut...I can't help you. Bwhaha. I'm kidding. You can try using dried fruit or more nuts. It won't be exactly the same, but it will still be awesome.
This frosting is outstanding on carrot cake, white cake or any cake in-between. I've used it on spiced mango cake and used artistically arranged thin sliced fresh pineapple on the top of the frosting...with rave reviews. Usually I put it on my homemade Chocolate Toffee Buttermilk Cake. It's perhaps one of my favorite cake mixes...and I make it from scratch. You can, if you're in a pinch, use store purchased chocolate cake mix and prepare it using buttermilk for the liquid. It won't be exactly the same, but it will work. All I know is the buttermilk cake with a hint of cayenne, tart with a subtle hot finish, is the perfect companion for sweet crunchy-gooey frosting.  I used on 10 inch layer cake. 
 Stephanie's Broiled  Coconut  Pecan frosting
6T  butter (melted) 
1/2 cup sugar
2T Molasses
1/2 tsp rum extract
1/4 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
3/4 cup coarsly chopped pecans or almonds (toasted)
1 cup  coconut (unsweetened looks cool, but use whatever you have. Today I used macaroon coconut)
 1/4 tsp Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice Blend(optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven broiler. In a bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, molasses, and whipping cream.
Add the pecans,coconut and spice.

Spread the frosting in a thick layer on the cake. It's amazing on little cupcakes or smaller cakes as well, but take care to cover the top. This will be broiled so the cake needs to be on a metal tray that is heat safe. That's my only rule. I don't want any emails telling me you broke Great-grandma Pearl's antique cake plate by putting it under the broiler. For the record, that's not a good idea. Plus, Granny didn't give you that cake plate thinking you would be an idiot. Oh. Did I just type that out-loud? 
Let the record show, my broiler is under my oven...by the floor. I laid on my belly in my kitchen to take this picture. Be impressed (or be disturbed). You want the frosting about 6 inches from the flame. Don't put it right on the flame (why do I even have to type that?). If you have an "in oven" broiler, put the rack in your oven as close to the top of the oven as possible without the heating element actually touching the cake. Not only would that be messy, it would also be daggum near hilarious...for me to watch. Um...just watch the cake. 
It takes 3-5 minutes depending how close it is to the broiler. What ends up happening? The top gets crispy and toasted caramel while just below the crust...a  layer of buttery coconut and pecans goo. 
We usually drizzle a little chocolate sauce over the top. Because it's just evil enough to push it over the edge to insanely-evil. 
Oh...and if you want to just pass out...add a sprinkle of sea salt. Mercy.
There you go. Make some fabulous Broiled Coconut Frosting. I'm certain you'll either love me or hate me for sharing it...but I'm thinking you'll love me, kiss me...lick the computer screen. Just don't embarrass yourself...too much. Xoxo! 

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

1 comment:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

The title of this post made me laugh out loud. Sounds sooooo yummy!!!

:)
ButterYum