Monday, March 19, 2012

Butterscotch Pecan Buckwheat Pancake with Butter-Toffee Sour Cream Syrup


Monday I try to share a little about cooking with food storage. Since I started writing the book on cooking with food storage for Honeyville, it has seemed to spill into some of the rest of my posts. I'm sorry about that. I'm trying to keep a balance. But, since today is the official day, I'm showing you my new favorite addiction. Buckwheat pancakes. I love them! They're gluten free and soooo pretty to make, it's a wonder that I haven't been making them every single day for the last ten years. Buckwheat is also a very good source of protein and the fiber is just outstanding!  Recently I had the insane idea of also making the Butter Toffee Sour Cream Syrup. It is my own recipe...and I have to tell you that the combination of the lightly nutty and beautiful buckwheat pancakes with a kiss of butterscotch are just completely made whole by the syrup. Oh the syrup...the syrup...is Evil. Liquid evil. You will never recover. I swear you'll hate me. But...that's a risk I'm willing to take.


My Butterscotch Pecan Buckwheat Pancakes

Ingredients: 
1 1/2 cup certified gluten free buckwheat flour or the organic is here. (I milled my own)
2 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

2T Melted butter or olive oil
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk or unsweetened soy milk
1/2 tsp butterscotch oil or 1tsp butterscotch flavor
1/4 cup fine chopped toasted pecans (optional)

Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients and mix well. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients.  Cook on a hot oiled griddle until bubbles come to the top, flip pancakes and cook on the other side. Serve hot with Butter Toffee Sour Cream syrup.

To make the Pancake mix for later use:
11/2 cups Buckwheat flour
2T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup whole egg powder
1/4 cup instant non-fat dry milk or soy milk powder
1/2 tsp butterscotch oil (blend into the dry ingredients)
1/4 cup fine chopped toasted pecans

Add 1 1/2 cups water to mix. Stir with a whisk to combine. Cook on a hot oiled griddle until bubbles come to the top then flip the pancakes and cook on the other side. Serve hot with butter toffee sour cream syrup.
Chef Tess' Butter Toffee Sour Cream Syrup

1/2 cup fat free sour cream
2T butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp ultra gel
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp English Toffee flavor oil
2T hot water

Directions: Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes until sugar is dissolved. Stir well. Serve warm over hot pancakes. Store any un-used portion in the fridge. Yields 1 1/2 cups.

Butter Toffee Sour Cream Syrup Mix

1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch or ultra gel

1/2 cup hot water

To make the syrup, combine the dry ingredients and the oil. Stir well. Add the hot water and bring to a simmer over low heat in a medium size heavy bottom sauce pan. Cook 2-3 minutes until sugar is dissolved. Do not over-cook or the syrup will get very thick. Serve over the pancakes. Store unused portion in the fridge after use. I doubt there'll be much left over. 


There you go. Make some buckwheat pancakes. You love me right now right? I know...it's an evil relationship, but it's all good. To get the printable version, go here

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

4 comments:

Charity said...

I'm so excited to try your recipe! However I'm confused by your pictures...whenever I make buckwheat pancakes they are purple-ish in color...yours look white...are your pictures from your actual buckwheat pancakes or is there some interesting chemical reaction to the flour when you add butterscotch flavoring? :)

Chef Tess said...

The flour I used was from hulled buckwheat groats, so it wouldn't be dark like the dark black looking buckwheat from un-hulled varieties.

Anonymous said...

Is there a difference in taste with the hulled vs unhulled? Am I the only one who didn't like this recipe one bit. Powdery and way burnt flavor so terrible I wasted the entire batch. We didn't even like the smell. My 1st time having buckwheat in something plain???

Chef Tess said...

If you use the unhulled, it will be very strong in flavor. It will totally change the flavor. I'm not a fan of the unhulled in flour. I should have been better at specifying that. Usually the buckwheat flour is from hulled buckwheat.