Tuesday, February 19, 2013

No-cook Pinto Bean Fudge

I taught a bean cooking class today. Pinto beans were on the menu...but let's just be honest. When you see a picture of pinto beans, you don't ever think of creamy chocolate fudge. Ever. When I usually teach a bean class, the pintos are a savory dish.  In fact, when I talk pinto I usually think of that horrid news-station report of "the latest breaking news on the toddler who put 12 beans up their nose and is now in critical condition as the beans sprout..." but if you're like me you don't think of fudge. Right? Because if you think of fudge, well, you're just not normal. I said it.

That being said, when a friend of mine started gushing the phrase , "Tess you should try making pinto bean fudge!" I thought to myself, "yeah, that will happen..." 

Well. Something froze over. I decided it didn't sound that crazy when I read this no-cook super simple recipe for pinto bean fudge. In all honesty, I thought, "well, I'd only be out a little sugar and some beans if it totally stinks." So, I decided to stop being a kill-joy and try something new.  Granted, I also had to change it a bit to make it set better and give it some unique Chef-like twists, but I'm confessing right now...it is evil in a very creamy, very delicious kind of way.  The beans lend a perfectly smooth texture if you puree or mash them really well. In all honesty, it is still fudge. The addition of the pinto beans seems to be more of a novelty than anything...but it does make a really delicious fudge.  Confession. I'm now joining the ranks of the not-normal pinto thinkers. (shh. I know you've thought, "This girl isn't even close to normal!" Now you have proof...)
Tess' Version of Pinto Bean Fudge (don't knock it until you try it)
Ingredients
1 cup of cooked pinto beans ( mashed or puree until smooth)
1 cup of melted butter (no substitutions)
10 oz melted dark chocolate
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp rum flavor
1 cup natural baking cocoa
2 lb powdered sugar (7 cups)
1/2 tsp Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East blend
dash of cayanne pepper
1 cup toasted walnuts (if desired but I think this is the only way to have fudge)
Directions:
First, mash the beans. I use a food processor so you can get them real smooth ( the one cup measure is before mashing).
Then, combine the mashed beans with the melted butter, melted chocolate, vanilla, and cocoa in a heavy  mixer with a paddle attachment. After that’s all combined, add the powdered sugar. Add nuts.
Blend well 3-4 minutes until smooth.

Spread the fudge mixture into an 8 by 8 inch pan lined with non-stick foil or parchment. Set 2-3 hours. Remove the paper or foil. 
Slice with a sharp knife. Keep chilled.

There you go. Pinto beans can be made into fudge. Who know?  Seriously love. Try not to think about the other uses for pinto beans. Think fudge instead of sprouts. I know I will. 


Do you want to hear about these adventures as they unfold? Join me on My Facebook Page.

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess




3 comments:

Bev said...

I'm gonna have to give this a try....hey, they say beans are protein, so it can't be all that bad! hee hee

Mama Peck said...

Wow, 1 cup of cocoa plus 10 oz of chocolate? That's got to be one chocolatey mouthful! But, then, can there ever be too much chocolate?? LOL Sounds like a fun recipe. Thanks for sharing. :)

Lynne said...

Made this! It is really good. Never thought I would like chocolate fudge with pinto beans mixed with it. Try it, you will be surprised!!!!!