Saturday, May 25, 2013

4 Ingredient Simple and Natural Homemade Almond Milk

 It is really hard to milk an almond. My fingers are way too big. 

Day 6 of the 90 Day Weight Loss Challenge...and I have to share homemade almond milk.  I use it in my protein shakes for creamy texture and I love it in a lot of my recipes. We've had some great success with making almond milk from natural blanched almond flour here at our house! It is one of those simple recipes I've made for a long time and wondered why I haven't shared it. So today I thought I'd share how I do it!  I use my favorite Almond Flour because it is all natural and easy to use for baking and also for almond milk! I use it a lot.  This recipe says 4 ingredient, but the last two ingredients are optional.  I use the stevia to add a hint of natural sweetness to the milk and I use the xanthan gum to add some emulsification assistance to keep the milk from separating when it is chilled.  If you don't want to use it, you can omit it. 
 My Chef Tess 4 Ingredient Homemade Almond Milk
1 cup Almond Flour (about 80 g)
4 cups very hot water
15-20 drops stevia (optional)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)

Vitamix Directions: Combine almond flour and 2 cups of the very hot (closer to boiling) water in a blender.  This helps release the fat in the flour and helps with the emulsion.  Allow to sit 5 minutes.  Note:  I use my Vitamix Professional because I know it will really blitz the emulsion.  The engine on that thing is amazing.  After the 5 minute sitting time, cover tightly  blend on the liquefy setting for 30-40 seconds until bright white and smooth like milk. Turn off the blender and add the remaining water.  Mix a second or two more. 

If you don't have a vitamix or stronger blender, I highly recommend the use of a little xanthan gum to help with the emulsification process. It is gluten-free. Follow the blender directions above, blending 2-3 minutes for best smoothness. 

Transfer to a quart sized jar and place in the fridge. Chill 2-3 hours.  
Use in any recipe that calls for milk.

Nutritional information:
serving size, 1/2 cup prepared. 57 calories. 5 g fat, 2 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 1 g fiber, 

There you go! Onward and upward my darlings!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess
















No comments: