Thursday, May 23, 2013

Vegetarian Healthy Black Bean 7 layer Dip


Day 4 of the 90 day weight loss challenge. Dinner. I love Mexican food. I do. 
I don't love being overweight. It is sooo not my favorite. Yes, I know I'm beautiful. Honestly, I've never had so many gorgeous e-mails from all of you letting me know that I'm good looking! Thank you all! {Blushing}  That being said, I'm not trying to lose weight to look good, though that is a a perk. I'm wanting to do what is best for my overall health.   Plus, maybe when I've lost all the weight, Dr. Oz will want to have me on his show...just kidding. Hi Dr. Oz. I love you, by the way. 

So, today I decided I needed to have this delicious black bean 7 layer dip for dinner. Sounding as evil as it possibly could be, it is actually a very healthy choice! Including baked chips, and fat free dairy options, it is a great vegetarian dinner.  I think even Ace will approve!


Healthy Black Bean 7 Layered dip

2 cup black beans, low-sodium, cooked and mashed
1/4 cup  plain yogurt or fat free sour cream
1/4 cup salsa ( I love my Roasted tomato salsa)

1 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 cup field greens (or lettuce), shredded
4 ounce shredded fat free cheese
8 slices jalapeños (optional)
2 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 tsp Chef Tess Southwest Fajita Seasoning ( Here)
cracked black pepper to taste
4 ounce corn tortilla chips (corn), baked, unsalted



Directions: Mash black beans with a fork or potato masher. Divide between 4 serving dishes. Spread sour cream  and then salsa evenly over bean spread. Wash green onion and lettuce. Chop onion finely and shred lettuce. Layer onion, lettuce, cheese, then jalapeno (chopped) in the order listed over lettuce. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, Chef Tess Southwest seasoning and cracked pepper.  Serve with chips (one ounce is about 11 chips)

Nutritional information: Yield 4 servings. Calories 300, Calories from Fat 80, Total Fat 9 g, Total Carbohydrate 40 g , Dietary Fiber 10 g, Sugars 5 g, Protein 24 g


Onward and Upward my darlings! There you go!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

No comments: