Monday, June 10, 2013

Weight-loss Stuffed Cabbage Soup in a Jar ( The 52 method continues)

 Monday I usually share something new and gourmet for food storage convenience meal making! Today is no exception! Thanks to all of you The Gourmet Food Storage Handbook is already in its second printing! Waaawhoooo!!  My second book, The Meal in a Jar Handbook: Gourmet Food Storage Made Easy  went to the publisher last week. Pending some edits and the actual printing, it should be available by November...

That being said, the jar recipes will still continue here. We'll always be exploring new ideas and making delicious meals. Always. That's how we roll! 

The  90 day weight loss challenge continues!  How is everyone doing?  Summer is upon us here in the valley-of-the-sun and that's not something I normally associate with a warm soup.  However...Rachael Ray makes this really delicious stuffed cabbage soup that I could eat all year round.  I love it so much that I wanted to convert it to a shelf stable meal in a jar that I could have and make anytime and also make it a little more healthy and low fat.These will be shelf-stable up to 15 years!    I made 24 meals in 30 minutes (eat your heart out Rachael).  I also wanted it to be full of low-impact carbohydrates from vegetables instead of white rice. 

This is low-fat, grain-free, gluten-free, and simpleSummer is not usually the time I think of making soup. Cabbage soup however is another story.  I heat it up just a bit on the stove and I'm good to go!  I eat it a lot when I want to be healthy and lose weight. Make up a full jar, it will make 12 cups of soup. One 2 1/2 cup serving is packed with flavor and will really satisfy you. Not to mention, it is right at 202 calories! 

Weight Loss Stuffed Cabbage Soup in a Jar

1 cup freeze dried ground beef
1/4 cup Tomato powder
1 tsp dehydrated minced garlic
2T parsley flakes
 1 1/2 tsp Chef Tess Big Dill Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1  teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tsp beef bouillon (optional)
1 bay leaf

To prepare jars: 
If this is your first visit to my blog and the 52 method jar packing, you'll need to read:
Layer ingredients in a quart sized jar. When all jars are filled, top with an Oxygen absorber.  Screw the lids on tightly, being sure that no part of the oxygen absorber is overlapping the lid.  You can also use these jar packing methods:
To prepare Soup: Remove oxygen absorber and discard.  Pour jar contents into a gallon sized pot.  Add 10 cups water and simmer medium high 7-10 minutes until vegetables are hydrated and tender. Yields 12 cups soup. 

Nutritional information for 2 1/2 cups prepared soup:
202 calories, 1 g fat, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein
Each quart sized jar will yield 5 servings prepared soup.

There you go my darlings! Easy and delicious soup that will help you lose weight and keep you feeling full! Win!!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the latest low carb In A Jar recipes! We love them and hope to see more soon.

Anonymous said...

What size oxygen absorber did you use in the jars to make this dish?