Monday, March 3, 2014

Tess Copycat Long John Silver Battered Fish

 Cussing Granny loves Long John's battered fish.  On any given day of the week I can call and ask if she wants me to pick up a few pieces for her and she'll always say, "Did you even have to ask?"   Have I mentioned lately how blessed I feel to have her living with us? It has been long enough now that sometimes I can't even remember life before we were one big family! That's a good thing.  It says a lot about a lady when her daughter-in-law can not only live with her, but can't imagine or remember life without her around.  She's amazing!

At any rate, I just know it is simple to make her favorite fish and this week with the advent of Lent and the increase the consumption of fish all over the world, I thought I'd add my own two cents to the mix.   I actually don't even observe Lent personally, but I have a ton of friends who do.  It only seems right to help them out with recipes.  As for this recipe, I like the homemade version so much  better than the drive-up. It is simple to make and it with just a few ingredients, we can have it at home. Plus, when I make it, I know what is in it.  When I made this for Granny, she was in heaven! So,we're totally making it again. Winner for dinner!

Tess' Copycat Long John Silver*  Battered Fish
Ingredients:
3 Cups frying oil
2 Pounds Fresh cod fillets
1 Cup Self−rising flour
3T Dry Mustard
1 Cup Water
1 Egg
2 tsp Granulated sugar
2 tsp Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning or season salt of your choice
Directions:
Sift together mustard and flour.
Heat oil to 400.
Cut the fish into approximately 7x2" wedges.
With a mixer blend the flour mixture, water, egg, sugar, and seasoning.
Dip each fillet into the batter coating generously and quickly drop in the oil.
Fry each fillet until dark golden brown about 5 minutes.
Remove and drain.  I put mine on a paper towel lined plate.  Serve warm.


My husband Ace never eats fish. This he devoured. Just saying. Try the fish.

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess



*This is not the original recipe from the restaurant chain and I am not connected to them in any way. FYI. The use of the name is not in any way meant for anyone to assume otherwise.


No comments: