Friday, August 12, 2016

Bistro Style Chilled Steak Salad Sandwiches with Creamy Horseradish



As many of you know, I am no longer working as the Executive Chef at the Bistro. I was there for 18 months and I loved it, but it was time to move onward. My kids needed me home more and I had some pressing personal issues that needed to be addressed. 

The new chef has changed the menu quite a bit to fit his own style, as he should. Greg is actually a rather brilliant chef and I truly loved working along side him when he was my Sous Chef.  When I left they really didn't announce the change. I was sad to go. I cried buckets of tears. I didn't really say much here about the change either. I have since moved on, but will look back on the bistro days with fondness. It was a remarkable experience. I love them all. Seriously.

The early classics that I had there are no longer available for ordering.  I get emails and messages on facebook almost daily, even though I haven't been at the bistro for over six months asking when I will be back and if not, can I at least share the recipes on my blog.  Though I don't think I can share the exact recipes that I used in the bistro, I will share ones that are close.

One favorite was the Roasted Sirloin Beef Salad Sandwich on a house-made tomato basil baguette.  The bread was my recipe that I've shared here on the blog. It is a simple no-knead artisan dough that pretty much anyone can make with very little effort. 

 6 ingredient Tomato and Herb No Knead Bread Anyone Can Make

The chilled steak salad was a great way for us to utilize filet mignon that we had overage of from the catering events and sell in the bistro.  This was beef that had not been served to guests, but rather was held in reserve at the banquet events. Sometimes there would be more beef on-hand than we needed and it was still good. We'd chill it immediately to keep it safe for consumption later, and then we'd mix it to make the chilled Steak salad. It is a delightfully refreshing salad. I was at first, a little nervous about how my guests would react to a cold steak salad, but it was well received.  

There's a nice infusion of fresh herb, garlic and a touch of creamy horseradish to add just the right amount of kick.  We served it with fresh arugula micro-greens and edible orchids drizzled with a tart-sweet balsamic glaze ( Here).


Tess Steak Salad Sandwich Spread
2 pound filet mignon or sirloin, roasted or grilled to medium-rare, cooled and diced
1/4 cup minced  fresh parsley
2Tbsp minced fresh thyme
1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
2Tbsp minced garlic
1tsp Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning (online here)
1 ½ cups Mayonnaise
3/4 cup red onion, minced
1T horseradish
Salt And Pepper, to taste

Procedure:
Combine ingredients, adjusting quantities to taste. Be sure to add enough salt and pepper.
Keep refrigerated until you need it. Spread on toasted wheat bread or serve as a salad on a piece of Romaine lettuce.

There you go! An awesome chilled salad for the hot summer days still ahead of us!

Onward and Upward my darlings!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess




No comments: